Eating and Drinking establishments of Felbridge – Part 4
This is the fourth part of a series of handouts that will discuss the eating and drinking establishments of Felbridge, both those that have long since disappeared and those that are currently still providing service. Information varies from one establishment to another, generally depending upon their duration of time in existence and availability of records. All the eating and drinking establishments are listed under their most recently known or used name. The study of these establishments has been grouped together by location and not their chronological order of operating. This group of eating and drinking establishments are situated in the Newchapel and Froggit Heath area at the north end of Felbridge.
The first in the series of handouts started at North End and continued to Felbridge Water on the Sussex side of the county boundary, covering Pattenden’s Beer Shop, North End Brewery and North End Workingmen’s Club, the Half-way House, the Emperor and the Felbridge Hotel and Spa.
The second in the series of handouts continued from the Felbridge Water area, crossing the county boundary into Surrey and covered, the Red Lion, Harts Hall Hotel, the Star Inn, the Premier Inn, Felbridge Garage Tea Shop and the White Duchess Hotel.
The third in the series of handouts continued north along the main London road starting at Woodcock Hill and covered: Yew Lodge, Wayside Tea Rooms, Woodcock Inn, Gulliver’s Rest, Peacock Lodge, The Mess and NAAFI at Hobbs Barracks, The Yellow Tea Pot, Thai Cottage, Wiremill Tea Gardens and Wiremill.
This document sets out to discuss the history and development of the eating and drinking establishments of the Newchapel area, along with the lives of some of the people associated with each property, including: the Half Moon, the Griffin Inn, the Evelyn Arms, the Blacksmiths Head the Maidenhead, the Club House, the Cherry Tree Beer Shop, the Lowlands and Bones Lane Beer Seller.
Properties associated with the Evelyn Arms (now known as Newchapel House – the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints) and the Maidenhead (now known as Lowlands Farmhouse) have been discussed previously therefore the histories have been condensed for this document and supplemented by information that has been discovered since publication of the previous handouts.
The Half Moon
The existence of the Half Moon was discovered whilst trawling through the Court Books for the manor of Lagham when researching the eating and drinking establishments listed below. There are three entries made on the same day in the Court Books dated 17th April 1752, stating:
We [the jurors] present that Sir William Gage died since the last court seized of certain Lands within the Manor called Woodcock Lands otherwise Hammer Lands Heriotable and Reliefable held by the Yearly rent of four pence and that thereupon happened to the Lord a Heriot or the best live Beast And for a Relief four pence and also that the said Sir William Gage died likewise seized of a messuage Farm and Lands within the said Manor called the Half Moon at New Chapple held by the yearly Rent of [blank] Heriotable and Reliefable whereupon also happened to the Lord for a Heriot the best live Beast and that a Heriot was seized for the said Woodcock alias Hammer Lands Videlicet a Brown Ox Valued at Five pounds but whether any Heriot was seized for the latter the Homage devises time to enquire till the next Court And that the Right Honorable Lord Viscount Gage is his real Heir –
We Present that the said Lord Viscount Gage since the Court aliened the said Lands Called Woodcock (alias Hammer) Lands and the other farm and Lands called the Half Moon at New Chapple aforesaid to Edward Evelyn Esquire whereupon happened to the Lord Two Reliefs four pence and [blank]
We Present that the said Edward Evelyn Esquire died likewise since the last Court seized of the said Lands called Woodcock (alias Hammer) Lands And the other messuage and Lands called the Half Moon at New Chapple both held of this Manor Whereupon happened to the Lord Two Herriotts and Two Reliefs And that a mottled ox And a Brown ox was seized for the said Two Herriotts valued together at Seven Pounds And which were afterwards compounded at Four Pounds Four Shillings and that James Evelyn Esquire is his only Son and Heir and enjoys the same.
These are the only direct references to the Half Moon to appear in the surviving Court records for the manor of Lagham.
The preceding surviving Court records are dated 20th October 1738 and Sir William Gage died on 23rd April 1744 so the preceding Court must have been held in either 1738 or some time between 1738 and 1741.
With regard to any sale of property made by William Gage to Edward Evelyn, as referred to in the Court records, a sale was made in 1741 and another in 1747. The 1741 sale was of a ‘messuage at Park Corner’ and some 130 acres of land being part of the manor of Hedgecourt, this equates to the area at the top of Mill Lane in Felbridge [for further details see Handout, Park Corner Farm, SJC 05/09], and the second sale, of 1747, was for the remainder of the manor of Hedgecourt that included: Snow Hill Farm, Chapel Farm and Forge Farm, as well as Woodcock Hammer and forgeman’s house, Furnace, Mill and Forge ponds (Furnace, Hedgecourt and Wiremill Lakes), and woodland including, Thorny Park, Roughlet Park, Denshire Cuttings, Snow Hill Wood, Mill Wood, Warren and Cuttinglye [for further information see Handout, The Commonplace Book of Colonel Edward Evelyn, SJC/JIC 09/07].
There is no request in the Court Book of 1752 for ‘Relief’ to be paid to the Lord of the manor for the sale of property by William Gage to Edward Evelyn made in 1741, only for Woodcock (alias Hammer) Lands and a ‘messuage and Land called the Half Moon in New Chappel’ made in 1747. This therefore eliminates the possibility that the ‘messuage at Park Corner’ could have been a contender for the Half Moon.
Woodcock (alias Hammer) Lands are easily identifiable and equate to the area that is today known as Wiremill [for further information see Handout, Wiremill SJC 03/06]. However, the other holding is not so easy to identify other than it must be at New Chapel, as stated in the Court Book, and held of the manor of Lagham. Based on this information the only properties that could have been the Half Moon were either Chapel Farm, Forge Farm or the ‘forgeman’s house’, and of the three, the its is highly probable that it is within Chapel Farm as the others have never been described as being ‘at Newchapel’ in any records and it is known to have operated as an eating and drinking establishment in the first half of the 19th century being called the Evelyn Arms [see below].
The Griffin Inn
Like the Half Moon above, the existence of the Griffin Inn was also discovered whilst trawling through the Court Books for the manor of Lagham when researching the eating and drinking establishments listed below. There is a single entry in the Court Books dated 5th November 1800, stating:
Also, they [the jurors] present William Stenning for inclosing a piece of land adjoining the premises in the occupation of Stephen Goward [Goard] on new Chappel Green. Also, for erecting a new Granary and other buildings near the Griffin Inn.
Again, like the Half Moon, this is the only direct reference of the Griffin Inn to appear in the surviving Court records for the manor of Lagham.
Unfortunately, the entry in the Court Book for the manor of Lagham does not give the specific location details for the Griffin Inn therefore at present it is not possible to determine the exact site of the Griffin Inn other than to say it is in the vicinity of the northeast of the parish of Felbridge, in the manor of Lagham as William Stenning’s extensive landholding is at Newchapel. One theory about the Griffin Inn is that it could be the same eating and drinking establishment as the Evelyn Arms [see below] as the crest of the Evelyn family is a griffin passant. It is possible that the sign of the inn, being a griffin, was adopted as its unofficial name.
The Evelyn Arms operated from the site of what is now Newchapel House – the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, situated on the northern-most extremity of the parish of Felbridge [for further details see Handout, Newchapel House, SJC 11/02], in the manor of Lagham, and may have been a later name for the Half Moon [see above] and/or the Griffin Inn [see above]. The site is adjacent to the A22, the main north/south road between London and the coast at its junction with the east/west road between Lingfield and Brighton, making an ideal location for an eating and drinking establishment, especially as it is about half way (or a day’s travel by horse) between London and the coast.
Held by the manor of Hedgecourt with encroachments of the manor of Lagham, the original property on the site of the Evelyn Arms may be one of three messuages referred to in a lease between John Gage and John Thorpe in 1578. However, there is no other description of lands or location in the lease, apart from being in the demesne lands of the manor of, or the park of Hedgecourt, and therefore cannot be taken as conclusive. Perhaps one of the first direct indications that there was a property on the site of the Evelyn Arms is in a counterpart sale of timber between John Gage and Thomas Thorpe dated 20th January 1594 that refers to ‘one tenement in the park of Hedgecourt, adjoining Newe Chapell’. The only known property to be situated in this position is what is today known as Newchapel House, the site of the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, the former site of the Evelyn Arms.
By 1678 Edward Stenning is recorded as paying rent for the property in Hedgecourt park, the Stenning family then being recorded as continually tenanting the property until about 1840, with a succession of family members evident in the rent and land tax records recorded in the Hedgecourt Court Books, Lagham Court Books and the Godstone Land Tax returns. The Stenning family seem to have had the monopoly on a large area of Newchapel as from at least 1669 as there was a Stenning in the occupation of the Maidenhead [see below] later known as Lowlands Farmhouse [for further information see below and Handout, Lowlands, SJC/JIC 05/06], another holding what was known as Bassetts alias Chapman’s Field, which later became the site of the Blacksmith’s Head [see below], and a holding formed of several parcels of land dotted around Newchapel Green together with what is currently called Cherry Tree Farmhouse on Froggit Heath, which later became known as Young’s Farm, and the site of Cherry Tree House formerly the Cherry Tree Beer Shop [see below]. The Stenning family are a complex and interesting family and there is more than enough material about them to warrant their own Handout so they will not be covered in great detail in this document.
The site of the Evelyn Arms is located in the north-eastern edge of the manor of Hedgecourt, with the plot straddling the boundary with the manor of Lagham such that it includes part of what was Froggit Heath. The outbuildings of the property were almost certainly built on waste ground, and there are frequent entries in the Court Book of Lagham from 1682 of various members of the Stenning family being fined for encroachments on the common and heath at Newchapel. In 1744, on the death of William Gage, Lord of the manor of Hedgecourt, the Evelyn Arms was referred to as Chappell Farm, being then in the occupation of Benjamin Stenning.
As already established above, in 1741, Edward Evelyn purchased part of the manor of Hedgecourt from William Gage and after his death, purchased the remainder of the manor in 1747 [for further information see Handout, The Commonplace Book of Colonel Edward Evelyn, JIC/SJC 09/07]. As a pictorial record of the newly former Felbridge Estate, Edward Evelyn commissioned a map in 1748, surveyed by John Bourd. The Bourd Map is probably the first detailed depiction of Chappell Farm, and shows three buildings on the plot of land now associated with Newchapel House. From the depictions that Bourd used, there is a house, aligned north/south, to the west of the main London Road, with a barn located on the same alignment to the west of the house, and another barn, slightly to the north of the first barn, aligned east/west, next to the Lingfield to Brighton Road. It is evident from the Bourd map that Chappell Farm created a bump in the alignment of the edge of Froggit Heath, with only the house and possibly one barn situated within the bounds of the manor and park of Hedgecourt, with the site of one building to the north, (probably a barn) encroached from the manor of Lagham.
The schedule notes on the Bourd map show that Chappell Farm was operating as a mixed farm in 1748, the land split between arable and pasture/meadow, and when compared with details on the draft Ordnance Survey map made in 1809, it is evident that Chappell Farm was greatly expanded by the Stenning family during the second half of the 18th century.
Between 1785 and 1818, William Stenning appears as a licensed victualler in the Godstone Quarter Sessions, but not associated with an address. However, all the other victuallers can be allocated to various named eating and drinking establishment in the parish of Godstone (the parish in which Felbridge fell) making the Evelyn Arms the most potential establishment from which William Stenning was plying his trade. This also ties in with the last Stenning recorded at Chappell Farm being William, son of William, in around 1840, as by 1841 the property was in the joint occupancy of John Weller, a farmer, and his family, and Jane Kichner, a lady of independent means, with her daughter and associated staff. The Godstone tithe map and apportionment of 1844, records that the farm was owned by the Hon. Charles Cecil Cope Jenkinson, the Earl of Liverpool, husband of Julia Evelyn Medley who was the great granddaughter of Edward Evelyn, and that Chappell Farm was in the occupancy of Samuel Weller, son of John.
When compiling the earlier Handout on Newchapel Farm it was stated the ‘in 1851, New Chapel Farm was listed in the tenure of James Walls, a farmer of 100 acres, but also listed was New Chapel House, occupied by William Jupp, a farmer of 190 acres. It has not yet been possible to determine whether the two properties were joined, but from the acreage being farmed it would seem more likely that James Walls was farming the land attached to New Chapel Farm’. After further research it is now possible to determine that New Chapel Farm relates to what is today known as Lowlands Farmhouse and its attached land and that Newchapel House relates to Chappell Farm in the occupation of William Jupp.
In 1856, the Felbridge Estate, including Chappell Farm, was sold by Lady Selina Charlotte Jenkinson (daughter of Julia Evelyn Medley) to George Gatty. It is at the time of auction in 1856, that the name ‘Evelyn Arms or Chapel Farm’ appears, being used to describe what is now known as Newchapel House, the site of the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. The description of the main house records that it was constructed of brick and tile, containing five attics, seven bedrooms, two parlours, a kitchen, wash house, pantries, dairy and cellar, plenty large enough to operate as an inn. It is evident from the schedule that the land was still being farmed but as the sale map indicates that the property was called the ‘Evelyn Arms or Chapel Farm’ this would imply that what is now known as Newchapel House was operating jointly as a farm and inn, although the census records around the date of sale do not reveal anyone occupying the property with any connections or occupations relating to those required for running an eating and drinking establishment.
Unfortunately no other records referring to the Evelyn Arms have yet come to light and at the time of sale in 1856 the property was recorded as still being in the occupation of farmer William Jupp who farmed not only the land attached to Chappell Farm but also land attached to Rabies to the east of the property. With no further information surviving it has not been possible to determine when the Evelyn Arms began operating as an eating and drinking establishment, for how long it was in operation or when it reverted to being just a farm [for further details see Handout Newchapel House, SJC 11/02]. However, local knowledge that Newchapel House had once been an eating and drinking establishment can be found in Notes on Newchapel by Les Oliver, a former resident of the Newchapel area who states that ‘It is believed that in the olden days it [Newchapel House] was once a Coaching House’.
Coaching Houses, also called Coaching Inns or Staging Inns came into existence in the mid 17th century and lasted for about two hundred years. They were a vital part of the inland transport infrastructure as a ‘House’ serving the needs of coach travellers. Coaching Houses stabled teams of horses for stagecoaches and mail coaches and replaced tired teams with fresh ones. Traditionally they were situated about seven miles apart, although this depended upon the local terrain and quality of roads. They also provided food, drink and accommodation for the traveller.
The time scale of the existence of Coaching Houses/Inns of between the mid 17th century and mid 19th century fits perfectly with the occupancy of the Stenning family at ‘Chappell Farm’ alias the Evelyn Arms (and possibly the earlier named Half Moon and Griffin Inn [see above]) and with members of the family also holding the Maidenhead [see below], the Stenning family must have had the monopoly on inns serving the needs of travellers in the Newchapel area from at least 1678 until around 1840. However, there is no direct evidence that the properties at Newchapel were operating as coaching inns.
The Blacksmiths Head
The Blacksmiths Head is situated on the northern edge of the parish of Felbridge, abutting the Newchapel Road. The site of the Blacksmith’s Head was a small encroachment or enclosure of Froggit Heath which became known as Chapman’s Field and later Bassetts, once owned by members of the Stenning family before being sold to the Hon. Kenelm Charles Edward, Earl of Cottenham in the mid 19th century. There has been a property on the site of the Blacksmith’s Head since at least the 18th century, although it would appear to have only operated as commercial premises since the mid 19th century and as the Blacksmith’s Head since the beginning of the 20th century. This document will concentrate on the site of the Blacksmith’s Head as commercial premises from the mid 19th century to the present day.
By 1841, the site of the Blacksmith’s Head consisted of five acres with a commercial business operating from a dwelling in the occupation of Charles Gilbert, the property owned as freehold by William Stenning, a descendent of Edward Stenning [see above]. Charles Gilbert was recorded as a shoe maker, being born about 1781, together with his wife Mary, also born about 1781 and Elizabeth Thurley, a farm servant, born about 1811. Charles Gilbert was still in residence in 1844 at the time of the tithe apportionment but by 1851 the property was in the occupation of John Cooper and his family.
John Cooper was born about 1811 and married Elizabeth Worsell the daughter of William and Jane Worsell of Burstow, Jane having been baptised on 22nd April 1821. John and Elizabeth had at least nine children including, Ann born about 1849, Jane born in 1840, John born about 1841, Mary Ann born in 1843, Eliza born in 1845, William born in 1847, Elizabeth born in 1849, Fanny Caroline born in 1853 and Alice born in 1856.
In 1851, John Cooper was recorded as a general shop keeper who was employing five people who were also living in his household. These included, Jane and George Worsell, brother and sister of John’s wife Elizabeth. Jane was born in 1830 and was working as an assistant linen draper and George was born in 1827 and was working as a shopman. As a point of interest, George went on to run the Star Inn at Felbridge [for further information see Handout, The Eating & Drinking Establishments of Felbridge, part II, JIC/SJC 03/08]. The other live-in employees included William Beal who working as a grocer’s apprentice being born about 1837, John Buckland who was working as a labourer being born about 1824 and Mary Sargent who working as a house servant being born about 1836.
John Cooper died in 1858 and Elizabeth his widow continued to run the shop at Newchapel until sometime between 1881 and 1887, aided by several of her daughters and her niece Minnie Sanders. By 1870 a Post Office had been incorporated in the shop, later being re-located to one of the buildings that formed the Newchapel Sports Club [see below]. However, by 1887 Elizabeth Cooper had been succeeded at the Newchapel shop by son-in-law Phillip Figg who was recorded as a grocer, and the property was by then called Bassett House.
Phillip Figg was born in 1853 in Woking, Surrey, and married Alice Cooper, the youngest daughter of John and Elizabeth Cooper of the shop at Newchapel, in 1884. Phillip and Alice had at least four children including, Alice born in 1885, Annie born in 1886, Ethel born in 1888 and Bessie born in 1891.
In 1871 Phillip Figg had been working as a grocer’s apprentice, living in the household of grocer George Martin of Curlter’s Shop, Knaphill, Woking, Surrey, and by 1881 he had taken his own grocer’s and draper’s shop near Jacobs Post in Ditchling, Sussex, employing live-in housekeeper Mary Price, a grocer’s porter called George Parker and a general servant called Minnie Collins. Sometime between 1881 and 1891 Phillip Figg took over the grocer’s shop at Newchapel, and in 1892 the Quarter Session records record Phillip Figg as a cottager, residing in the ‘Free House’ at Newchapel. To be a ‘Free House’ implies that, along with groceries he was selling ale or beer and that the establishment was not attached to a brewery.
Phillip Figg was still advertising himself as a grocer, draper and sub Post manager at Newchapel Green in 1895 but by 1899 he had been succeeded by William Skinner. Unfortunately without further details it has not yet been possible to determine any further information on William Skinner. A post card of the early 1900’s depicts the grocer’s shop at Newchapel, the property displaying the name The Stores, although it is not know whether the shop was in the occupation of William Skinner or his successor George Frederick Alderton who had taken over the shop by 1901, being recorded as a general dealer.
George Frederick Alderton was born in 1859 in Newington, London, and married Edith Tiplin in 1890 in Croydon. Edith Tiplin had been born in 1861 in Chepstow, Gwent. George and Edith would appear to have not had a family but often had children from the Drawbridge family of St Pancras, London, as visitors, as in 1891 Wilfred Russell Drawbridge aged five was recorded as a visitor at the time of the census and in 1901 Edgar Drawbridge aged fourteen is recorded as a visitor.
In 1871, George Alderton had been working as a grocer’s assistant in the household of grocer James Winch, at 24, The High Street, Dartford, Kent, and by 1881 George had his own grocer’s shop at Harlington, Bedfordshire. However, by 1891 George and Edith were running the Public House called the Carpenter’s Arms, George listed as inn keeper.
In the first decade of the 20th century, the grocer’s shop at Newchapel was quite a substantial building, the original ‘messuage’ having been added to several times over the years so that by 1911 there were ten rooms. From postcards of the era the shop faced what is now the Newchapel Road to Lingfield, with an adjoining two storey house to the north with its entrance on the western side of the building. The shop building, also two storeys, was weather-boarded, whilst the house was of brick, both under a slate roof. Abutting the shop to the east was a single storey building with an entrance facing south, with a central front door flanked by a pair of sash windows with shutters. Next to this building was a small detached building, both being faced in weather-boarding under slate roofs like the shop.
The brick built house to the north is the older building on the site at this time and from map evidence had been there since at least 1840. The weather-boarded south extension, the single storey extension to the east and the small detached building were all added between 1840 and 1870.
The shop had a front entrance under a porch roof flanked by two, full length, rectangular bay windows. Above the door hung a sign stating ‘Ales & Stouts’ and below that a smaller sign that is unfortunately un-readable from the post cards.
The first known reference for the Blacksmith’s Head can be found in the Quarter Session records of 1904 that list William George West as the resident, stating ‘Blacksmith’s Head, off sales only, tied to Messrs. Bushell & Co’. To term ‘off sales’ suggests that the property was not licensed to operate as an inn or Public House but was licensed to sell alcohol, and to be tied to ‘Messrs. Bushell & Co’ means that the property was no longer a ‘Free house’ and could only sell beers and ales produced by the brewery Messrs. Bushell & Co [for further information see Handout, Eating & Drinking Establishments of Felbridge Pt. I, SJC 05/07]. Nothing more is known about William George West other than he was succeeded at the Blacksmith’s Head by Henry Sanders who is recorded as residing there in the Electoral Roll of 1910. However, the 1911 census records that the shop at Newchapel was in the occupation of Arthur Daws and his wife Elizabeth.
Arthur Daws was born about 1856 in Merstham, Surrey, and Elizabeth had been born about 1854 in Guildford, Surrey. Unfortunately, although the 1911 census records that they had been married for a full fifteen years it has not yet been possible to determine the exact date. The census also records that that had no children, and that Arthur was working as the Shopkeeper assisted by his wife Elizabeth. However, within two years they had been succeeded at the shop by Edwin Turner, described in the Kelly’s Directory 1913 as a ‘grocer and beer seller of Newchapel’.
Edwin Turner remained at the shop for a further nine years, appearing in the Kelly’s Directory for the last time in 1924. It was around 1924 that the complex of buildings was demolished and a purpose built Public House was constructed on the site tied to the Nalder & Collyer Brewery. There is no entry for a resident at the property in the Electoral Roll for 1924 but in 1927 Henry Phillips is recorded as the proprietor at the Blacksmith’s Head, residing at the property with Ada Phillips and Marjorie Wingett. Unfortunately it has not yet been possible to determine the relationships between these three people, although in 1929 there is no mention of Henry, and Ada Phillips appears as the proprietor, with Marjorie Wingett still in occupation. However, by 1931 the Blacksmith’s Head had a new proprietor, Frederick Gilbert Riley but in 1932 he had been succeeded by Bernard Buelth and William Cobbett, his son-in-law.
Bernard Augustus Buelth was born in 1880 in St Pancras, and married Margaret Lucy White in 1904 in Marylebone; Margaret had been born in 1882 in Barton Regis, Gloucester. Bernard and Margaret had at least three children, Henry born in 1904, Dorothy Irene born in 1906, both born in Wandsworth, and Eric Bernard born in 1909 in Croydon. Dorothy married William Cecil Cobbett in 1931 in Croydon, William having been born in 1901. Dorothy and William appear to have had only one child, Brian born in 1933 in Croydon.
Bernard Buelth remained the proprietor at the Blacksmith’s Head until his death in 1938 when his wife Margaret and son Eric take over the proprietorship. However, after the war it would appear that Eric Buelth had moved away leaving the Blacksmith’s Head in the proprietorship of his mother Margaret. Also, residing at the premises throughout the time that the Buelths held it were William and Dorothy Cobbett. Unfortunately it has not yet been established whether the Blacksmith’s Head was a ‘Free House’, or whether it was tied to a brewery during the proprietorship of the Beulths, but in 1951 the electoral roll lists ‘Mrs Buelth, proprietor, Blacksmith’s Head, Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd.’, so by the 1950’s it would seem that the establishment was tied to the Ind Coope & Allsop brewery, as were several other Public Houses in the area [for further information see Handouts The Eating & Drinking Establishments of Felbridge, Pt. I, SJC 05/07 and Pt. II, JIC/SJC 03/08]. The last entry for a Buelth at the Blacksmiths Head is in the 1954 telephone directory, not being listed in the 1955 edition.
Today the Blacksmith’s Head is owned by Laurence Hall with partner Catherine Smith who took over the property from David French and Cecelia Hall (Laurence’s mother) in November 2008. Having recently been extensively refurbished, the Blacksmith’s Head has the atmosphere of a traditional country pub, offering good food as well as accommodation with five bedrooms, four of which have en-suites facilities.
The Maidenhead was an inn that operated from what is now known as Lowlands Farmhouse (not to be confused with The Lowlands alias Lowlands Cottages [see below]). Lowlands Farmhouse is located on the northern edge of the parish of Felbridge, opposite Newchapel House, the site of the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints, where the A22, the main London road, intersects the old Lingfield to Brighton road at Newchapel [for further information see Handout, Lowlands Farmhouse, SJC/JIC 05/06]. The site of Lowlands Farmhouse once formed part of the parish of Godstone (formerly known as Walkhampsted/Lagham) but in more recent years has transferred to the parish of Horne by the relocation of the parish boundaries.
Although Lowlands Farmhouse has much of its history situated in the parish of Godstone, there is evidence to suggest that for part of its life it was held by the manors of Tandridge and Sheffield/Grinstead and not Lagham. This is confirmed by the fact that no references to this substantial and high status property, by any previous known name, can be found in the Lagham Court Books before 1640. Instead it appears in the Tandridge Court Books as the property of, firstly, John Huntley and later Edward Feake, and land attached to it appears in the Sheffield/Grinstead Court Book in 1677. Unfortunately, like the Lagham Court Books, the vital Tandridge Court Books are missing that would have given the date and reason for the property’s transferral to the manor of some time between 1627 and 1640.
Regardless of which manor it was in, there has been a property on the site of Lowlands Farmhouse since at least the mid 15th century and the Quit Rent of just 2s 9d found in the Court Books for the manor of Lagham would suggest that the site was a very early enclosure of the waste of the manor. The site of Lowlands Farmhouse has probably always been a freehold property since its enclosure, which must have held considerable status from before 1611. Unfortunately, due to large gaps in the surviving Court records of associated manors, it has proved impossible to determine beyond doubt who the freehold owners of the property were before the early 17th century, and it seems strange that such an impressive and high status property proves to be so elusive, especially as it was a substantial holding, with such a large barn dating to the 15th century.
Lowlands Farmhouse is known as a Wealden house which is a particular form of open hall house, the design meeting not only the social needs of the household of the time but also reflecting the status and prosperity of the owner. As a Wealden house Lowlands Farmhouse was likely to have been built by a yeoman from profits gained from his land or a trade in commodities such as wool, timber and tanning, or the iron industry. Alongside the Wealden house would have been a series of smaller buildings that served the main house, such as a kitchen (if not located within the property), brew house, barn and stable.
Lowlands Farmhouse is most likely to have been built in the first half of the 15th century and could even date to the start of that century. It has very high quality mouldings and structural features that indicate a very wealthy owner. It is likely that it was built against (but separately framed from) an earlier east-west oriented open hall. This old hall then became the solar accommodation to the new hall. Probably in the 16th century, a storage floor was installed above the tie-beam in the north bay of the hall; this would have been accessed by a removable ladder. During the later half of the 16th century the open hall frames were infilled to contain the smoke to a single bay.
There then appears to be a series of changes that took place within a relatively small timeframe. Around 1600, the solar accommodation at the north end of the building fell down or was dismantled and the north crosswing was constructed very shortly afterwards as no weathering has occurred to the north face of frame four. At the same time the south east extension was constructed but without a chimney implying that the open hearth was still present in the open hall.
About 1640, the chimney was constructed within the bay containing the smoke and another was inserted into the south east extension. Shortly after the chimney was installed an additional flue was added to provide a fireplace in the chamber above the north end of the hall. Later a bread oven was installed within the ground floor fireplace leaving only a small hearth.
It would appear that a large number of the substantial alterations were undertaken during the early ownership of the Feake family as the property was purchased in 1611 by Edward Feake, along with a second ‘messuage’ with attached land; unfortunately the location of this second dwelling has not yet been determined.
As already established, the earliest surviving part of Lowlands Farmhouse suggests that it was built by someone with considerable wealth. However, it has not been possible to determine the name of the owners or occupiers of the property until 1611 when Edward Feake purchased it. Speculation is that the property was a dwelling house until sometime towards the end of the 16th or early 17th century, when it became an inn called the Maidenhead. However, it would appear to have had a short life as an inn as evidence suggests that it was not operating as such before 1566 or after 1651.
The definition of an ‘inn’ was that they were ‘insituated’ for the lodging and relief for travellers. At the time that the property operated as the Maidenhead, anyone could erect and keep an inn or alehouse to receive travellers with limited licensing. Inn keepers were obliged to sell ‘hay, oats, beans and all kinds of victuals [food and provisions] for man and beast, at reasonable prices having respect to the price sold in the market’s adjoining without taking anything for litter [bedding].’ Anyone who kept a Common Inn could not refuse to receive a traveller as a guest into his house or find him victuals or lodgings, if they were offered a reasonable price. The Inn Keeper was also obliged to furnish the traveller with meat and drink. If the traveller requested anything at an inn, the Inn Keeper was justified to detain the person, a horse or some other procession until his account was settled. As a minor technicality, if someone had made a previous contract for lodging for a set time, and didn’t eat or drink there, he was not classed as a guest but as a lodger.
Unfortunately, the first description of the property as an inn is not found until an indenture dated 1651 transferring it from Edward Feake to his son Christopher Feake. At this date the property was described as: ‘all that messuage or Inne called the Maydenhead with the appurtenances situate, lying and being in the parish of Walkhamsted in the county of Surrey, with all houses, outhouses, edifices [buildings] and orchards, backsides to the said messuage or inn belonging and all those lands, tenements, meadows, feeding pastures, leasows [grassland], woods and underwoods containing by estimation ninety acres, more or less …’
It is believed that the Maidenhead ceased operating as an inn shortly after this transferral. However, the property known as the Maidenhead was to remain in the hands of the Feake family until the death of Mary Feake in April 1803, when the property passed to Amelia Penelope Hollingbery, an unrelated friend of Mary, being described as ‘kinswoman’, and then to the Glynn family through the marriage of Amelia, the only child of Henrietta Elizabeth Sackville Hollingbery before being purchased by Harry Bentinck Budd of East Park in 1898 and then by Charles Henry Gatty of the Felbridge Estate in 1899 [for further information see Handout, Lowlands Farmhouse, SJC/JIC 05/06].
It is unlikely that any of the Feakes or Glynns lived at Maidenhead, except perhaps Edward Feake, and from at least 1669 Edward Stenning held its tenancy, being succeeded by William Stenning in 1704. William was probably Edward’s son, although at present it has not been possible to prove conclusively. As already established, from at least 1678 Edward Stenning also held the property that was to become known as the Evelyn Arms [see above] so it is possible that he transferred his interests from the Maidenhead as it is believed that the Maidenhead had ceased to operate as an inn shortly after 1651.
The name Maidenhead, probably a derivation of Maiden’s Head (although the term was also used to describe a certain part of the female anatomy) was a popular heraldic charge or emblem for an inn or tavern that emerged in the early 16th century. Even after the property had ceased trading as an inn the name Maidenhead continued to be used to describe the property until 1844 when it adopted the name Newchappell and eventually the current name of Lowlands.
The Club House
The site of the Club House is now the property known as Linden Farm on the northern edge of the parish of Felbridge, situated on the north side of West Park Road, west of Lowlands Farmhouse and opposite Newchapel House.
In 1840 the site of the Club House appears on the Godstone tithe map as plot 65a, devoid of any building. However, when the apportionment was completed four years later, plot 65a is recorded as owned by Sir William Robert Clayton and occupied by Messrs. Stenning [William and Edward], consisting of a cottage and 25 perch of land. Unfortunately it has not yet been possible to determine whether the cottage was missed on the map survey or had been constructed in the four intervening years between the survey and apportionment.
Plot 65a had once been co-owned along with plot 65, an enclosure of Froggit Heath, and was situated due south of plot 65. In 1844 plot 65 formed one part of a large area of Newchapel being run as a farm, owned by Sir William Clayton and occupied by William and Edward Stenning [see above]. The farm, known as Young’s Farm in the mid 19th century, was centred around what is now called Cherry Tree Farmhouse, the former rest home for retired horses on Froggit Heath, accessed from West Park Road and abutting Bones Lane.
In 1881, the census records that Charles Henry Wren occupied plot 65a from where he was running a Blacksmith’s Shop, having moved from the Forge in Croydon Barn Lane, Horne. However, by 1891 Charles Henry Wren had left the Forge at Newchapel and moved to the Forge at Felbridge [for further information see Handout, Golards Farmhouse, SJC 11/07]. In 1896 the Ordnance Survey map shows plot 65a being part of what is now Lowlands Farm, which was purchased by Harry Bentinck Budd of East Park in 1898 [see above]. The map also shows a building in the southeast corner of the plot that is titled ‘Smithy’ but interestingly, no cottage.
From the census records there would appear to be no occupants of the cottage on plot 65a until the Wren family in 1881 and in 1891, after they had moved on, there is no property listed between the Toll House and Lowlands Farmhouse where the cottage, if it had occupants, should have been situated. It is not until 1901 when the Newchapel Sports Club occupied the site, that a further named occupant can be found.
The Newchapel Sports Club was built under the direction of Harry Bentinck Budd. Budd had Wren’s old Blacksmith Shop, which was a brick and timber building under an iron roof, converted as a Workingmen’s Club, with a Bar and toilet facilities. He also had a new brick and tiled two storey property built that included a Smoking Room and a Kitchen with a Bar on the ground floor and a Luncheon Room and accommodation for a manager/caretaker on the first floor. Budd also had a series of buildings constructed that included a timber and iron shed containing a second Luncheon Room and a Store, as well as laying out a Bowling Greenin the garden area. Thus the Newchapel Sports Club was created.
In 1899, a year after completion, Harry Bentinck Budd was in serious financial difficulty resulting in the Newchapel Sports Club complex being put up for auction, the property described as:
Club House with Workman’s Club House, Luncheon Shed
0a 1r 0p
Occupied by Cyclist’ and Sports’ Club and the Workman’s Club at a rental of £40 p.a. and whose members number about 200.
Club House of two storeys containing: Smoking Room, Kitchen with serving Bar, upstairs Luncheon Room, Caretaker’s Bedroom, various outbuildings.
Adjoining is a brick and timber built with iron roof building containing Workman’s Club House 33 ft 6 ins by 18ft. Interior is lined with matchboard stained and varnished with Bar Room adjoining, Men’s W.C., Gentleman’s Lavatory and W. C. and Lady’s lavatory with W. C.
Garden and Grounds contain aBowling Green, also a large timber and iron building 39ft by 10ft used as a Luncheon and Store Sheds.
There is a capital Well of water which supplies the premises.
The property was purchased from Nellie Bentinck Budd (Harry’s wife) on 8th June 1899 by Alfred Palmer of West Park for the sum of £730 and enfranchised by him making the property his freehold on 26th October 1908.
In 1901 the Club House was in the occupation of George William Forsgate who was recorded as a brewery manager. Being described as a brewery manager would suggest that George Forsgate was brewing the beers and stouts sold from the Newchapel Club, much like George Coomber of the North End Workingmen’s Club [for further information see Handout, Eating & Drinking Establishments of Felbridge, Pt. I, SJC 05/07].
Living with George Forsgate was his wife Mary, recorded as a refreshment manager, and their four children, George Albert born in 1889, Frank Godfrey born in 1891, Edith May born in 1893 and William Henry born in 1896. George William Forsgate had been born about 1862 in Westminster and had married Mary Ann Rebecca Ward in 1886, Mary having been born in 1861 in Hampshire. The first three children of George and Mary were born in Balham but the last child, William, was born in East Grinstead suggesting that perhaps George Forsgate could have been running the Newchapel Sports Club from at least 1896, with his wife Mary running the Luncheon Room.
In 1903, the Newchapel Sports Club was known as the Motor Car and Cycle Rest and one of the buildings was used to incorporate a Post Office run by Mary Forsgate, having moved from the grocer’s shop on the site of what is today the Blacksmith’s Head [see above]. Sometime around 1907 the Sub-Post Office was operating from Highfield Cottages in Bones Lane, where it was run by George Hugget until the 1930’s. The relocation of the Post Office operation around 1907 suggests a possible change of occupants at the Newchapel Sports Club and in 1911 William Haydon was recorded as occupying the Club House at Newchapel, together with his wife Mary and two sons Sydney and John.
William Haydon was born in 1851 in Clapham and Mary was born about 1862 in Westmorland, unfortunately there are no good matches for their marriage and the 1911 census records a dash in the ‘completed years of marriage’ column. William and Mary had two children Sydney Hudson born in 1899 and John Leonard born in 1902. However, William had several children by a previous marriage and the census of 1901 records that the Haydon family were living at 114, Branksome Road, Brixton, with four older children including, James born in 1875, William born in 1878, Emma born in about 1885 and Henry born about 1890, all born in Brixton except William who was born in Tottenham. In 1901, William senior was working as a plumber (the same occupation as recorded in 1911), James was also working as a plumber, William as a carpenter and Emma as a dressmaker. However, by 1911 a smaller Haydon household had moved to Newchapel consisting of just William and Mary and just their two children, Sydney and John.
William Haydon would appear to have run the Refreshment Rooms at Newchapel until around the mid 1920’s as he appears in the Kelly’s Directories between 1913 and 1922. However, the Electoral Roll of 1924 records Mary and Sydney Haydon occupying the property at Newchapel and in 1927, Kelly’s Directory records John Haydon, antique dealer of Newchapel, suggesting that by the mid 1920’s William Haydon had died. Les Oliver also records that ‘Mrs Haydon, John and Syd had a shop selling antiques’ from the premises at Newchapel and that ‘a school teacher lodged with them’. He also writes that the house was known as The Red House, and that they used to play marbles in the road outside.
By 1934 the Club House was in the occupation of Frank George Huggett, listed as proprietor (owner or legal possessor of a business). Then in September 1936 the property was put up for auction as Lot 1, part of the West Park Estate sale, being described as:
The Modern Cottage
which is within a few yards of the mainEast Grinstead–Eastbourne Roadat the important Newchapel Corner is of brick and tile construction and has metal casement windows. It contains:- Sitting Room; Kitchen, fitted “New Larder” range and dresser; Scullery, fitter sink and Larder with tiled floor. Above are Two Bedrooms both fitted with fireplaces and cupboards.
Company’s Water is connected Cesspool Drainage.
Outside Wash-house with copper; Coal place and W.C.
The Club House
is a timber and iron structure which was formerly used as a Post Office and could be converted into a shop. The main apartment measures 32 ft by 18 ft, with an Office at the back, beyond which are apartments formerly used as Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s Cloakrooms.
In a large Garden there is a Three-bay Iron Roofed Open Shed.
NOTE. – An acknowledgement of 2d. per annum is paid for the permission granted for the erection of the Clubhouse – as to which see special Conditions of Sale, Clause 7.
Clause 7 – As to LOT 1 the Club House erected on this Lot is a temporary building and is the subject of an Agreement dated 26th May 1899 between the Rural District Council of Godstone of the one part and Harry Bentinck Budd of the other part. A copy of the said Agreement may be inspected previously to the date of the sale at the offices of the Vendor’s Solicitors or the Auctioneers by appointment or in the sale room on the date and the Purchaser shall be deemed to have full notice of the contents thereof whether he shall inspect the same or not withstanding any partial or incomplete statement of the contents of such Agreement in the Particulars or the conditions of Sale.
At the time of sale the catalogue records that the tenant was Sydney Wallis and it would appear that around 1936 he removed the timber and iron Club House and re-located it to land adjacent to Filewood Cottages (formerly Little Bones Cottages) in Bones Lane from where he and his brother Walter Wallis ran their engineering works and cycle business. This building was used as a workshop, and joined a Carpenter’s Shop and Store Shed already erected at their works. In 1938 Fred Wallis appears in Kelly’s Directory as ‘Electrical Engineer, Cycle Dealer and Post Office at the Newchapel Engineering Works’, the Post Office was operating from a building adjacent to Bones Lane that also doubled as a Cycle Shop.
Cherry Tree Beer Shop
The Cherry Tree Beer Shop, now Cherry Tree House (not to be confused with what is now called Cherry Tree Farmhouse), is situated on Froggit Heath in the parish of Horne (historically in the parish of Godstone before a boundary change) to the north of the boundaries of Felbridge. The property, which has been on the site since at least the 18th century, operated as a Beer Shop for about forty years under the occupancy of Henry Roffey and his descendants from the 1850’s to 1890’s.
The Roffey family have extensive roots in the Newchapel/Froggit Heath area and Henry Roffey held several properties including Froggit Heath Cottage and Pond Lake Cottage. This document only concentrates on Henry Roffey and his family connections with beer selling at the Cherry Tree together with the development of the property as a private house.
Henry Roffey was baptised in Horne on 24th October 1784, the son of Henry Roffey and his wife Elizabeth née Wren. Henry married Elizabeth Killick in Horne on 2nd October 1807. Elizabeth had been born in 1782 the daughter of John Killick and his wife Elizabeth née Hugget. Henry and Elizabeth Roffey had at least one child, Elizabeth born on 30th October 1809, but sadly Henry’s wife died only eighteen months later and was buried on 14th February 1811 at Horne. Within eighteen months of the death of Elizabeth, Henry Roffey married Ann Jupp née English, on 7th December 1819. Ann, the widow of William Jupp, brought to the Roffey household three children, William born in 1805, Mary Ann born in 1808 and Jane born in 1818.
In 1841 Henry and Ann Roffey were living at Outwood in Surrey, where Henry was working as a butcher, but by 1844 the Roffey family had moved to the property that became known as the Cherry Tree Beer Shop. Henry also held the two cottages and land to the west of Bones Lane. In 1851 Henry Roffey was recorded as a farmer of fifteen acres. However, from at least 1855 until at least 1873 the Post Office Directory Henry as also listed as a ‘beer retailer of Newchapel’. Henry Roffey may have set up his Beer Shop as a way of supplementing a living from farming as brewing was seasonal work, or it may have been in response to the abolition of the Beerhouse Act of 1830 that removed the duty on beer and allowed householders to sell beer, ale and porter after purchasing an annual excise license for two guineas (£2 2/- [£2 10p]). This created an explosion of Beer Houses, the beer often being sold in the kitchen of someone’s home. In 1834 an amendment to the act was passed that set out the definition of a ‘beer retailer’ as ‘any person who sold beer in a quantity less than four and half gallons’.
The free-for-all in Beer Houses had stopped by 1869 with tighter regulations of the brewing trade and many small Beer Houses closed but it would appear that Henry Roffey continued to sell beer from his property because in 1871 Henry Roffey, then aged eighty-four, was recorded as a Beer House Keeper, suggesting that his property was operating as what would today be described as a Public House.
Henry Roffey died on 5th May 1873 and was buried at Horne on 11th May 1873, the Cherry Tree Beer Shop being taken over and run by William Smeed who had married Caroline Wicken[Wicking], grand-daughter of Henry’s second wife Ann. Caroline had been born in 1841 the daughter of Ann’s daughter Jane Jupp who had married Thomas Wickens in 1840. William and Caroline had married in 1866 and they had four children, Lucy Selina born in 1867, Henry born in 1869, William Thomas born in 1873 and Arthur Robert born in 1874.
William Smeed appears as a ‘beer retailer of Newchapel’ in the Post Office Directory of 1874 but he had sadly died by 1878 and Caroline took over the Cherry Tree as beer retailer. The census entry of 1881 records Caroline as the head of the household living with her four children and father, Thomas Wicking, who in 1887 appears in Kelly’s Directory as ‘beer retailer of Newchapel’.
In 1891 the property, then called Cherry Tree Farm, was in the occupation of widow Jane Wicking, together with her grand-daughter Lucy Selina. There is no mention of a beer retailer living in the property by this date which may suggest that the Cherry Tree had ceased trading as a Beer Shop at or soon after the death of Thomas Wicking in 1888. In 1901 Jane Wicking, then aged eighty-three, was still in occupation of the property and living with her was her niece Amy Skinner. The property, known as Cherry Tree Farm, was still in the hands of the Wicking family in 1924 when Sibella Wicking was recorded as residing there in the Electoral Roll. Sibella had been born Sibella Baird in about 1861 and had married William Wicking, the son of Thomas and Jane Wicking, in 1888. In the late 1920’s Sibella Wicking moved to Essex where she died in 1938 and by the early 1930’s Cherry Tree Farm was in the occupation of Miss Walker.
Today the property is a private dwelling, being described in 2001 when it was put up for sale as:
Cherry Tree House
Charming detached residence with period origins and later additions providing interesting accommodation of great character including detached building with rooms, range of outbuildings all set in unspoilt rural setting adjoining wooded Common Land with additional nearby paddock and field – total area just over 5 ½ acres. Uniquely, the property also has common rights over Frogit Heath.
Fascinating Detached Residence
With origins believed to date back over the centuries. Elevations are of white painted brickwork under a tiled roof. Somewhat later, and perhaps during the 19th or early 20th century, a wing was added to the rear with herringbone pattern brickwork in timber framing. More recently, a wing to the north was constructed some thirty or so years ago.
Today the property has been extended to include an entrance hall and rear hall, a sitting room, dining room, kitchen/breakfast room and four bedrooms. There is also an assortment of outbuildings including several that have been previously used for poultry farming.
The Lowlands, now known as Little Brook Cottage off East Park Lane, is situated in the parish of Horne and falls slightly outside of the Felbridge boundaries. However, a brief history of the property has been included to conclude the number of eating and drinking establishments that, over the centuries, have served the scattered community of the Newchapel and Froggit Heath area.
Much of the evidence for this property having been a Beer Shop comes from the documented memories of Les Oliver, former resident of the Newchapel area, written from the mid 1930’s. In his notes on The Lowlands he writes:
About 1860 this [Little Brook Farm] was a Beer-Shop known as Lowlands. Traces of the Beer-Shop are still to be found in the bars of the windows and the beams which have holes in them, which indicate a game called “Kicking Jenny” used to be played [there].
[There were] 2 cottages: Jenny Brown in one, Mr and Mrs Noble then [the] Smiths, [with] Streeter, [the] far side. A Smith married a Brown’s daughter.
Mr Brown of Lowlands used to carry the children through the mud to the bottom of the lane [East Park Lane] so they could get to Sunday School at the Public Room. Stubb Pond Lane gives us some idea of what East Park Lane used to be [like].
The roads were originally footpaths between adjoining houses and plots of land and each [footpath] would not cross his neighbours or his own cultivated lands. Consequently they went around and the paths were longer and not straight.
In 2000 Peter Gray, in his book, Horne, a history for the Millennium, wrote a brief description of Little Brook Cottage (formerly The Lowlands) and Little Brook Farmhouse. The description for Little Brook Cottage is as follows:
Brick and tile-hung cottage with outshot; central hallway and end chimneys on the ground floor only. Similar though smaller to Kingswood Farmhouse [the neighbouring property to the south] with originally fewer hearths suggesting a somewhat lower status dwelling and earlier date.
Of special interest are the single hung sash windows, the predecessors of the double hung sashes [where both sashes slide rather than just one]. Date probably mid 18th century. Lean-to at the end is reputed to have been added as a butcher’s shop.
The description for Little Brook Farmhouse is much shorter and follows:
Timber framed end chimney house doubled in size, with central chimney within a generation of first build. Original construction mid 17th century.
From Peter Gray’s surveys he believed the property known as Little Brook Farmhouse to be older than Little Brook Cottage and it is interesting to compare his descriptions with that found in the sale catalogue for the West Park Estate of 1936 when Lowland Cottage Farm, amounting to just over six acres, appeared for auction as Lot 55:
A Capital Small Holding
adjoining Kingswood Farm and fronting the private road close toBones Lane.
are a pair of brick, tile-hung and tiled dwellings placed well off the road facing south and each containing:-
Living Room with beamed ceiling and recessed fireplace fitted with a range; Larder with brick floor and beams, and Two Bedrooms with oak beams, one Cottage has a Scullery in addition and at the east end is a newly-built brick and tiled Wash-house, fitted with copper and sink. Well Water.
near by comprise a brick and tiled Cow House for 3; thatched Pony Stable, and Store shed. The remainder of the Lot is divided into Four Pastures and an Orchard of half an acre.
From 1841, Lowlands Cottages has consisted of two separate structures accessed by a track leading from what is now known as Kingswood Farm and East Park Lane. The buildings to the east was a single cottage [now Little Brook Cottage], whilst the building nearest to Kingswood Farm to the west [now Little Brook Farmhouse], was divided into two or three dwellings and currently comprises of two separate dwellings.
Confirmation that the above named occupants at Lowlands, as referred to by Les Oliver, can be found in the census records of 1901, the property at that date being divided into three households. The first household (immediately after neighbouring Kingswood Farm) was that of James Brown born in 1851, together with his family consisting of wife Matilda née Shirley born about 1851 and three children, James born in 1887, Frank born in 1891 and Edith born about 1897. James Brown was recorded as a District Council Roadman, labourer. The Brown family were also in occupation in 1891 and Naomi Brown was recorded as the occupant in 1936 at the time of the auction of the West Park Estate.
Household two in 1901 consisted of Abraham Streeter born about 1831 in Worth and his wife Catherine née Tingley born about 1842 in Worth, their daughter Esther born in 1883 and grandson William Henry born in 1891. Abraham Streeter was recorded as a farm labourer. The Streeter family can trace their occupation back to at least 1871, living in no. 4 Lowlands, the property at that time consisting of four households.
Household three in 1901 consisted of Benjamin Bradford, a widower born in 1848 and his son George Stephen, born in 1888. Benjamin Bradford was recorded as a general labourer, and the Bradford family can trace their occupation of the property back to at least 1841.
Unfortunately, there is no evidence from the census records to suggest that at any time between 1841 and 1901 the property was being run as a Beer Shop, although it was not unknown for farm workers to brew their own beer and sell off any surplus, thus bringing a little more income into the household [see below]. There is also no conclusive evidence to substantiate that the lean-to on Little Brook Cottage was a butcher’s shop, although in 1851 there was a butcher, Richard Stripp, living four households away from Lowlands Cottages.
Bones Lane Beer Seller
As a point of interest, whilst researching The Lowlands, it was found that in 1841 there was a potential Beer Shop two fields north of The Lowlands, opposite Bones Farm on Bones Lane. This property was occupied by John Quickenden who described himself as a ‘Beer Seller and Agricultural Labourer’. John Quickenden was born on 13th June 1808 in Horne, and married Sarah Worger on 6th January 1830 in Burstow, Sarah having been born about 1793 in Burstow. By 1851 John Quickenden had moved from Froggit Heath to the Bell Inn at Outwood in Surrey, where he remained until at least 1861.
Lagham Court Book, P25/21/11, SHC
Handout, Wiremill SJC 03/06, FHWS
Articles, Gage/Evelyn 1747, Box 3151, SHC
Handout, Park Corner Farm, SJC 05/09, FHWS
Handout, The Commonplace Book of Colonel Edward Evelyn, SJC/JIC 09/07, FHWS
Godstone Land Tax records, LL
Godstone Tithe map and apportionment, SHC
Handout, Newchapel House, SJC 11/02, FHWS
Bourd map, 1748, FHA
O/S draft map, 1809, FHA
Notes on Newchapel by Les Oliver, FHA
Surrey Quarter Sessions, QS5/10/3 – 10/23a, SHC
Census Records, 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911
Bassetts Lease, 1842, K170/4/1, Bassetts Lease, 1865, K170/4/2, SHC
Handout, The Eating & Drinking Establishments of Felbridge, Pt. II, JIC/SJC 03/08, FHWS
The Stores, Newchapel, Post Cards, FHA
Handout, Eating & Drinking Establishments of Felbridge, Pt. I, SJC 05/07, FHWS
Electoral Roll, CC802/38/2, 46/2, 48/2, 51/2, 52/3, 53/2, 54/2, 55/2, 57/3, 58/3 and 60/3, SHC
Kelly’s Directory, 1870, 1878, 1895, 1899, 1927
Handout, Lowlands Farmhouse, SJC/JIC 05/06, FHWS
Sydney Wallis. Cycle Maker of Newchapel Surrey 1865-1950 by Bill Haylor, FHA
Handout, Golards Farmhouse, SJC 11/07, FHWS
Ordnance Survey map 1895, FHA
Sales particulars for Newchapel Sports Club, 1899, SP2564, WSRO
Kelly’s Directory, 1913, 1922, 1927
West Park Sale Catalogue, 1936, FHA
Horne, a history for the Millennium by Peter Gray
PO Directories, 1855 -1878
Kelly’s Directories, 1867, 1874, 1887
Cherry Tree House, sale catalogue, 2001, FHA
Texts of all Handouts referred to in this document can be found on FHG website; www.felbridge.org.uk