Charles Henry Gatty JP, LLD, MA, FLS, FGS, FZS, FRAS, FRSE, FRS
Charles Henry Gatty was the last resident lord of the manor of Felbridge, residing at Felbridge Place until his death on 12th December 1903. With the death of Charles Henry Gatty, the Felbridge Place estate was left in trust and eventually put up for auction in 1911, which led to the break up of a gentlemans estate and the creation of Felbridge as a village. His death also brought to an end his family line of Gattys.
Charles Henry was born in Marylebone, London, on 6th March 1836, the second son of George and Frances Gatty. The Gatty family can be traced back to the 15th century to Bodmin in Cornwall, with the old Gatty arms being those of Gatti of Insubria in Italy. Charles Henrys father, George Gatty, married Frances Sayer in about 1830, when Frances was aged about twenty-seven years old. She was the daughter of Henry Jenkinson Sayer and Elizabeth née Lane who had married on 22nd November 1798 at St Margarets, Westminster, London. Frances Sayer was related to John Collier, a lawyer and one time Mayor of Hastings in Sussex. George and Frances Gatty had two sons, the eldest being George Edward born in 1832 and the second son being Charles Henry.
Charles Henry Gatty spent his early childhood in London before moving to Malling House, South Malling, near Lewes in Sussex, where the Gatty family were recorded as residing in 1838. Malling House dates to 1710, being built of grey brick with red brick dressings and is now the East Sussex Police Headquarters. In 1846, the family were living at 6 Marlborough Terrace in Kensington, and some time after this date they leased Crowhurst Park in Sussex. The Crowhurst Park estate, in the Battle area, contains about 120 acres and was once the seat of the Pelham family, the Pelham Buckle motif being found over the porch of the gatehouse and above the fireplace in the lounge of the manor house.
George Edward was educated at Trinity College, Oxford, and after graduating with a BA, pursued a military career as a Lieutenant with the East Kent Militia. Sadly his career was cut short, as he died in barracks at Chichester in Sussex, in 1854, at the age of twenty-two years, his remains being interred in the churchyard of St Pauls Church, Chichester. The death of George Edward left his brother Charles Henry sole heir to the Gatty family. It was shortly after the death of George Edward that his father, George Gatty, purchased the Felbridge Place estate, then known as Felbridge Park, moving from Crowhurst Park in 1855. From the diary of Charles Henry for 1856, you get a picture of a young man with much wealth at his disposal. He seems to spend most of his time walking, riding, shooting, and playing chess and billiards. These leisure pursuits were interspersed with frequent visits to London, Huntingdon and Cambridge, and the occasional geological trip. It is also evident from his diaries that he had a growing interest in natural history. An entry for Saturday 16th August 1856 points to fact that he was also a keen collector of natural history, a typical gentlemans pursuit if the Victorian era. The entry reads: A tortoise arrived from London. It was sent me by Mrs Hoad, whose husband and brother brought it from Sebastopol.
Charles Henry was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, gaining a BA in 1859, and graduating with a MA in 1862. He devoted much of his attention to natural science, especially zoology and geology, and whilst at Cambridge was elected a Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS) of London on 15th March 1860, and the Geological Society of London (FGS) on 5th February 1862. The Linnean Society was founded in Britain in 1788, for the cultivation of the science of natural history in all its branches. The Society took its name from Carl Linnaeus, a Swedish botanist born in 1707, whose initial study of botany led to his study of medicine and practise as a physician in Stockholm until his death in 1778. Linneus devised the modern classification of plant species and produced many works covering a whole range of botanical subjects; his collections and library are possessed by the Linnean Society located at Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. The Geological Society, also located at Burlington House, was founded in 1826, for the purpose of investigating the mineral structure of the earth.
Other scientific societies to which Charles Henry Gatty was elected a fellow include the Zoological Society of London (FZS), the Royal Astronomical Society (FRAS) and the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE). The Zoological Society of London was founded by Stamford Raffles in 1826, and was granted a Royal Charter by George IV in 1828, opening the worlds first scientific zoo, London Zoo, to Fellows of the society. It was not until 1847, that London Zoo began to admit paying visitors to aid funding. The Astronomical Society of London was conceived in 1820 with the simple objective to promote Astronomy. In 1831 the society was granted a Royal Charter by George IV and became known as the Royal Astronomical Society. The society initially met at several locations until 1874 when it moved to specially built premises in part of Burlington House, Piccadilly. Charles Henry Gatty was elected a Fellow of the society on 13th March 1870. The Royal Society of Edinburgh was founded in 1783, and has played an important role in the scientific and literary life of Scotland ever since. The society was initially set up with a Literary Class and a Physical Class but in 1832 the classes became joined and at that time the society became almost exclusively a scientific society.
In 1864 the Gatty family, being a devout Christian family, embarked upon the construction a parish church at Felbridge to replace the Evelyn Chapel that stood within the grounds of Felbridge Place. The Chapel had been the centre of worship for the Felbridge area since 1787 after its construction by James Evelyn. The official parish church for Felbridge was the Church of St Nicholas in Godstone, some twenty miles north of Felbridge. The decision to build a parish church for Felbridge must have been for the convenience of the Gatty family, who were frequently visiting Godstone Church, and the total cost of its construction was borne by the family. The Advowson of St John the Divine was held by the Gatty family until the death of Charles Henry, and as such they had the right to appoint and dismiss the chaplain or minister. Unfortunately, George Gatty never saw the completion of the church before his death on 19th May 1864 and because the churchyard had not yet been consecrated he was buried at St Marys Church, Horne. On completion of the Felbridge parish church in 1865, a marble memorial plaque to George Gatty was placed on the north wall of the North Chapel.
On the death of George Gatty in 1864, Charles Henry, then aged only twenty-nine, inherited the Felbridge Place estate, some 1,740 acres. Twelve years later his mother Frances also died and was buried in the Gatty family vault at St Johns, Felbridge, her name being added to the memorial in the church. The vault, located to the south of the church also has a memorial dedication to each member of the Gatty family of Felbridge.
Having ample means at his disposal and a generous nature, Charles Henry was now able to indulge in his hobby as a collector in the scientific field of natural history, and support the investigations of others. One area of interest that he cultivated was the observation of marine life, possibly influenced by his close association with his half-second cousin, Margaret Scott Gatty, an algologist who published a book called British Seaweed in 1863. Charles Henry Gatty made considerable collections among the Channel Islands and along the southern coasts of England and although he did not publish his observations he continually passed his information back to those who took an interest in the same pursuit, in particular the St Andrews Fisheries Laboratory in Scotland. The Fisheries Laboratory had been founded in 1884 under the Fishery Board, being the first institution of its kind to be founded in this country. In the summer of 1892, Charles Henry Gatty gave the University of St Andrews a gift of £1,000, which he doubled during the autumn of the same year, for a marine laboratory to replace the wooden building that was currently being used. In 1895, he gave a further £500 for equipment and furniture that he later supplemented with a second sum of £500. The old wooden laboratory was abandoned on 3rd October 1896, when Lord Reay opened the new Gatty Marine Laboratory.
At the time of opening, the University of St Andrews only had about 200 students, however, research in marine biology flourished after the opening of the new stone-built laboratory. The purpose built laboratory had much improved facilities that included a Directors room, a library, a specimen room, a research laboratory with compartments for six workers, a small chemical room and an aquarium. The aquarium measured 30ft 6ins/9.2m by 30ft/9m and had three high-level windows on each side fitted with cathedral glass. On the eastern side there were four large tanks of concrete and glass, supported on massive walls of concrete. William Carmichael McIntosh, Professor of Natural History, ran the marine laboratory, but on 23rd June 1913 tragedy struck, when fire was spotted at the laboratory. However, damage was not as bad as first thought as heat from the fire had melted some of the seawater pipes and burst a tap that had helped to localise the fire, even so the total repair work was estimated at £500. Fortunately, McIntoshs drawings and experiment notes escaped unharmed and he went on to enjoy a long and productive career producing more than 350 scientific publications before retiring at the age of seventy-six in 1917.
Charles Henry Gatty took a keen interest in the marine laboratory and would visit the University of St Andrews once a year, spending most of his time in the laboratory, until failing health prevented him from travelling. In recognition of his support, the University of St Andrews conferred an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LLD) upon him, giving him the title by which he was known locally, Dr. Gatty. He was also given the freedom of the city of St Andrews in recognition of his generosity.
Much of the research work carried out by McIntosh at the marine laboratory was published through the Ray Society, another society that Charles Henry Gatty supported and was a Fellow of. The Ray Society was instituted in 1844 and was named after John Ray, the 17th century naturalist. The society is a scientific publishing charity whose activities are mainly devoted to the flora and fauna of Britain. For the most part the publications are academic works that are of particular interest to naturalists, zoologists, botanists and collectors.
In 1881, Charles Henry Gatty was appointed Associate or Assistant Warden of Sackville College, which was founded by the will of Robert Sackville, Earl of Dorset in 1609. The Colleges primary function was, and still is, to provide accommodation for elderly people. For many years the College provided a second use too, overnight accommodation for the Sackville family as they journeyed to and from their estates in Sussex, and lodgings for Judges during the Assizes held at East Grinstead. The College was placed under the responsibility of a Warden, who at the time of Charles Henrys appointment as Assistant Warden was Dr George Covey who had recently replaced Dr John Henry Rogers on his death in 1879.
The Victorian era saw a growth in philanthropy with many influential and wealthy people fighting to improve the conditions of those less well off. Charles Henry Gatty was no exception and donated much of his money to philanthropic causes, one such cause was the Cottage Hospital at East Grinstead. East Grinstead was the fourth place in the country to have a Cottage Hospital, being designed for those suffering from accident or illness who could not be easily treated at home. The Cottage Hospital was opened in October 1863 in Green Hedges Avenue, East Grinstead, having accommodation for seven patients. It was run entirely by subscriptions and for a short time the expense was borne solely by Dr John Henry Rogers, the founder and first doctor of the hospital who at the time lived opposite the hospital in the property called Green Hedges. The hospital eventually closed in 1874, but it soon became apparent that there was still a need for one the area. It was at this point that Charles Henry Gatty took an interest in the problem and in 1881, built a brand new Cottage Hospital in Moat Road, East Grinstead. Charles Henry completely furnished and equipped the hospital, right down to the surgical instruments, but because people had started to grow impatient and asked him when he proposed to open it, he took offence, removed the equipment and sold the property to John Betchley. It is ironic that the property has, since at least the 1960s, been associated with the treatment of health, as a clinic/dentist for a short time and now as Springvale Community Mental Health Centre, a National Health Service rehabilitation centre for those with mental health problems. East Grinstead did eventually get its replacement Cottage Hospital, built in 1887 at the corner of Garland Road, being opened on 11th January 1888.
The episode with the Cottage Hospital is unfortunate, but highlights the eccentricity of Charles Henry Gatty that developed in the later years of his life. Another story that demonstrates his growing eccentricity was the saga over the East Grinstead Town Band in 1887. The saga began in 1862, with the sale of the site of the old Workhouse in Glen Vue, East Grinstead, a piece of leased land where the lease had long since been lost and forgotten. In 1886 the lost lease reappeared but by this time the Workhouse had been demolished and the land had been built on, and was estimated to be worth £12,000. The rightful owner of the site, Sir Augustus Webster, demanded the rental due to him, being 1/- a year, the lease having eleven years to run. In May 1887, the case went to court and after a lengthy hearing judgement was given in favour of the defendants on the grounds that the lease was bad. The outcome of the decision was greeted with much enthusiasm in East Grinstead with over 1,000 people waiting at the station to meet the defendants. The East Grinstead Fire Brigade drew their carriage into town and the East Grinstead Town Band led the way. At this time Charles Henry Gatty was the President of the Band and to show his disapproval of their involvement, resigned his presidency and withdrew all his support from the Band for several years. However, Charles Henry Gatty must have reconciled his differences with the Band as after its amalgamation with the Volunteer Band to become the East Grinstead Volunteer and Town Band in about 1890, he was again President by 1895.
On another musical note, Edward Frederick Hunt, a local music teacher and, for several years, organist at St Johns Church, Felbridge, dedicated a piano score called the Felbridge March to Charles Henry Gatty. Edward lived at 21 Station Road, East Grinstead, until his death April 1916, when he was buried at St Johns, Felbridge. A copy of the score, held at the East Grinstead Town Museum, was re-arranged and performed by the Lingfield Silver Band at the Felbridge Golden Jubilee Celebrations in 2003, the first time that the score had been performed in living memory.
The remnants of another example of the generosity of Charles Henry Gatty to the people of East Grinstead can be found at the bottom of Blackwell Hollow, where there is a stone plaque that once read:
A strip of land including this bank was bought and dedicated to East Grinstead in 1894 by Charles Henry Gatty of Felbridge Place in order to preserve for ever to this town the amenity of a beautiful approach to its principal street. This tablet is erected in 1913 in gratitude for his generosity.
The strip of land, with strict covenants imposed on it, was conveyed to the East Grinstead Local Board being superseded by the East Grinstead Urban District Council who erected the plaque. The East Grinstead Local Board was formed in 1884 and became the East Grinstead Urban District Council in 1895, under the terms of the Local Government Acts of 1894. The chairman of the East Grinstead Local Board between 1884 and 1894 was Rev Charles Walter Payne Crawfurd, close friend of Charles Henry Gatty. Today it is the responsibility of the Mid Sussex District Council to ensure that the restrictions imposed on the land are maintained. These include the preservation of trees and land in their natural state, the prohibition of building or laying paths, and restrictions on buildings and walls over 5ft/1.5m high on parts of the adjacent land. The stone plaque is now barely visible at the bottom of the hollow and the inscription has long since disappeared.
Other demonstrations of the generous nature of Charles Henry Gatty come from the memories of past Felbridge residents, most having worked for him on the Felbridge Place estate. It is evident from the census records that Charles Henry held the same beliefs as Edward Blount from the neighbouring estate of Imberhorne, that of retaining and maintaining estate workers until the end of their days. An example of this can be found in the 1881 census where we find Richard and Elizabeth Stevens as butler and cook, living in the household. Firstly, they are a married couple, which is unusual enough as in general domestic staff of the period were preferred to be unmarried to prevent divided loyalties between service to the family and their spouses and own family. Secondly, Richard Stevens was aged sixty-one in the census and Elizabeth, sixty-four, both fairly mature ages to be holding the highest domestic positions within the household. Richard still held the position of butler ten years later, having lost his wife two years earlier in 1889. Richard died in 1896 and it is probable that he still held the position of butler, by then aged seventy-five.
The surviving diary of Allen Bingham dated October 1892, lists in detail his trip to America in an attempt to cure his asthma, paid for by Charles Henry Gatty. Allen Bingham was employed as the estate carpenter and married Ellen Harriett Holman on 29th November 1888, at St Johns Church, Felbridge. Charles Henry paid for the return passage from Liverpool for Allen and Ellen to visit and stay with Allens eldest brother William and his wife Eliza, at Holmes Farm near Franklin. It was hoped that the change of air would cure or improve his asthma; sadly this was not the case although he did find some medication that helped ease the symptoms.
It is evident from the parish registers of St Johns, Felbridge, that Charles Henry Gatty must have been a caring master to work for, as an analysis of ages at the time of death for his identified estate workers indicates that most reached their late seventies and many their mid to late eighties. This implies that their general welfare must have been well maintained. Charles Henry Gatty was also a trustee for the Beef and Faggot Charity that had been set up by James Evelyn in 1793 to help the needy of the local area, initially by supplying beef broth once a week during the winter months and a beef dinner every Sunday of the year. [For further details see Beef & Faggot Charity Fact Sheet, SJC 03/03]. Being a trustee would have enabled Charles Henry to identify those estate workers in most need of assistance and implement it. He was also a trustee for the Felbridge School Charity, set up in 1783, also by James Evelyn, which provided educational facilities for learning the 3Rs, reading writing and arithmetic, and the catechism.
Other estate workers were to benefit from the generosity of Charles Henry Gatty on his death in 1903. Each member of his domestic staff received a years wages on top of their normal wage. The gamekeeper, John Killick, received £100, Daniel Garwood, his coachman received and annuity of £160 and Elizabeth Jupp, the widow of Benjamin Jupp his former gardener who had died in 1897, received an annuity of £40 and was allowed to continue living in an estate cottage even after the time of the break up of the Felbridge Place estate in 1911. She eventually died at the age of eighty-three six months after the auction in November 1911.
Like his father before him, Charles Henry Gatty was also a Justice of the Peace for the counties for both Surrey and Sussex. The name Justice of the Peace is the official title of a magistrate, who is the legal official appointed to carry out certain legal functions that include sitting in a magistrates court and sometimes a Crown Court. The majority of criminal matters are dealt with by a magistrate, the work involving decisions on the application of bail, whether a defendant is guilty or not and the passing of sentences as appropriate. For criminal offences magistrates powers include the imposition of punishment, fines and custody. Magistrates may also sit in the Crown Court with a judge to hear appeals from magistrates courts against conviction or sentence and proceedings on committal to the Crown Court for sentence. Magistrates also decide many civil matters and are responsible for the administration of liquor and gaming licensing, as well as the issue of search and arrest warrants. Charles Henry also held the position of Permanent Chairman of the Bench of Justices of the East Grinstead Petty Session Division.
Charles Henry Gatty never married, living from the age of nineteen at Felbridge Place, and from 1876, as head of the household. Like his father and mother before him, Charles Henry extended the Felbridge Place estate purchasing land on East Grinstead Common and Hedgecourt Common from the Imberhorne, Broadhurst and South Malling manors. Between 1875 and 1899, he added over 328 acres, which together with the purchases made by his parents, increased the size of the Felbridge Place estate to over 2,085 acres. His circle of local friends included the Lampsons of Rowfant House between Crawley Down and Worth, the Cranstons whose family home had been East Court in East Grinstead, Rev Charles Walker Payne Crawfurd who succeeded the Cranstons at East Court, Alfred Robert Margery who held the neighbouring estate of Chartham, Lingfield, Rev John Thorp, the vicar of Felbridge appointed by Charles Henry in 1889, Harry Bentick Budd the colourful character who had driven a coach and four across Hedgecourt Lake when it had frozen in 1895, no doubt watched by Charles Henry, and the Hasties of Placelands in East Grinstead, now King Georges Field and Sports Centre. Towards his latter years, Charles Henry became a bit of a recluse and was regarded by many as somewhat eccentric in his habits. A past resident of Felbridge who, as a child, remembered Charles Henry Gatty during the last years of his life, wrote:
Dr Charles Gatty was an eccentric gentleman with plenty of money. He kept a staff of six indoor servants, with about seven gardeners and two coachmen, with a carriage and a lovely pair of black horses.
By 1901, his household staff had shrunk to a mere handful of servants having lost all of his long serving servants, most of who had succumbed to old age. His domestic staff at this date included two footmen, Frank Gatford and Charles Hudson, a cook, Eliza Davey, upper housemaid, Ellen Davis, and housemaid, Edith Ellen Howell.
Charles Henry Gatty died at Felbridge Place on 12th December 1903, at the age of sixty-seven. He was buried in the family vault at St Johns, Felbridge, on 16th December; the service officiated by Rev John Thorp. His death was announced in the Times on the day of his funeral, and obituaries followed in the Proceedings of the Linnean Society, the Geological Society and the Quarterly Journal of the Astronomical Society, among other publications, in January/February 1904. Charles Henry Gatty left an estate with a gross value of £192,945, net value being £140,292. Executors to his will, dated 7th July 1900, were two cousins from his mothers family, Alfred Leighton Sayer and Charles Lane Sayer. It was to his executors that Charles Henry left his personal estate, to be divided between them, or if they were both dead at the time of his death, to the children of Alfred Leighton Sayer. Charles Henry also requested that the lands should not be sold to a Roman Catholic or Jew, this was probably because he also left the Advowson of St Johns Church to the Sayers, and should the estate be sold, this could pass to the purchaser. Charles Henry must have feared that as St Johns was Church of England it would not be appropriate for the purchaser to hold any other religious convictions than Church of England.
Pecuniary legacies were left to his close friends and relations, which included:
Cousin Rev. William Carlisle Sayer Millward, £ 500
" Katherine Sayer, £ 300
" Grace Elizabeth Sutcliffe, wife of Charles Sutcliffe, £ 500
" Florence Thynne, wife of Arthur Barugh Thynne, £ 500
" Alexander John Scott Scott Gatty, £2,000
Friend Rev. Charles Walker Payne Crawfurd of East Court, £ 200
" Arthur Hastie, solicitor of East Grinstead, £ 500
" Harry Bentick Budd of Charters Towers, Branksome Park, Bournemouth, £4,000
" Rev. John Thorp, vicar of Felbridge, £ 200
" George William Seymour of 4, Greencroft Mansions, S Hampstead, £ 500
Charitable Legacies included:
British & Foreign Bible Society £2,000
Church Missionary Society in Africa and the East £1,000
The Church Pastoral Aid Society £1,000
Colonial & Continental Church Societies £1,000
Temporary Home for Lost & Starving Dogs £ 250
Personal legacies included:
John Killick head gamekeeper, £ 100
Each domestic servant (not outdoor ones) a years wages on top of their normal wage.
Elizabeth Jupp, widow of Benjamin Jupp my late gardener, an annuity of £ 40
Daniel Garwood coachman, an annuity of £ 160
Alfred Leighton Sayer and Charles Lane Sayer retained the Felbridge Place estate, leasing it to the Earl of Egremont until 1911, when it was sold to Mrs Emma Harvey and the East Grinstead Estate Company. The sale included the Advowson of St Johns. Rev John Thorp, the vicar that had served Charles Henry Gatty, felt that it was highly unsatisfactory for the Advowson to pass to the new purchasers whose sole reason for purchase was the break up and development of the estate. To prevent this from occurring Rev Thorp persuaded Alfred Robert Margery, a close friend of Charles Henry Gatty from the neighbouring estate of Chartham, to take over the Advowson, passing on his death in 1936,to his son Ivan Donald Margary.
To commemorate the life of Charles Henry Gatty, the east window at St Johns Church, Felbridge was dedicated to his memory. Sadly the original east window was shattered on 28th August 1940 by enemy bombing, along with all the stained glass windows in the south wall that were dedicated to the memories of George Covey, Katherine Fellows, John Cuthbert Joyner, Walter and Adela Stenning, and Mary Knox Joyner. Fortunately, Uvedale Lambert, a gentleman and local historian, had made detailed notes about the church in 1925, and described the east window thus:
The five lights of the east window, beginning from the north, show St Mary Magdalene, the Virgin Mary, the patron saint St John the Divine in the central light, and St Peter and St James. Above are seen four angels in various attitudes of prayer and praise with St Michael and the vanquished dragon in the centre. The sexfoil in the tracery over his head displays the Agnus Dei [Lamb of God] with two flame coloured cherubs in the little lights on either side. The design has been clearly influenced largely by Burne-Jones and the general effect is distinctly successful. On a small brass beneath the window is inscribed:
To the glory of God and in memory
of Charles Henry Gatty of
Felbridge Place MA Cambridge
University LLD St Andrews
University & JP for the
Counties of Surrey & Sussex
who died 12 December 1903.
After the War, funding for damage repair work was in short supply and the decision was taken that only the east window of St Johns Church, Felbridge, would be replaced with a commissioned stained glass. The new window was dedicated not only to Charles Henry Gatty, but also to the memories of the other people whose windows had also been destroyed. Geoffrey Webb, master glass painter who worked from a studio in the High Street, East Grinstead, was commissioned to execute the stained glass for the replacement east window that represents the Tree of Life with Christ at the centre amid the words, I am the vine, ye are the branches, (John 15). [For full details see Stained Glass of St John the Divine, Felbridge, Fact Sheet SJC07/02ii]
To commemorate the centenary of the death of Charles Henry Gatty, it was decided that an appropriate gesture would be to have the Gatty family vault cleaned and restored. Funding was raised by a donation from the Felbridge Parish Council, the proceeds of a church open day held by the Felbridge and District History Group in the summer of 2002, and a donation from the Felbridge and District History Group. Downsview Monumental Company of Burgess Hill, Sussex, carried out the work under the direction of Alex Jones Funeral Directors and Monumental Craftsmen of Lingfield, Surrey. The work included the cleaning of the pink and grey granite memorial and York stone ledger, replacement of twenty-two lead letters and the re-painting of the iron posts and rails around the memorial.
The Gatty family vault once again stands resplendent in the churchyard at St Johns, Felbridge, a reminder of the family who paid for the building of the church, and a tribute to Charles Henry Gatty, a gentleman with a generous nature and eccentric habits, a caring master to work for and the last resident lord of the manor of Felbridge.
Census records 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
Parish Registers of St Johns, Felbridge FHA
Sale Catalogue for Felbridge Place, 1855, FHA
Sale Catalogue for the Felbridge Place Estate, 1911, FHA
Sayer family papers; SAY 3418, 3232, 3236, 3415, 3638, ESRO
Gatty genealogy, SAY 3622, 3623, 3624, ESRO
Crowhurst Park, http://www.crowhurstpark.co.uk
Buildings of Sussex by I Nairn and N Pevsner
Notes on Felbridge by Mrs Nancy McIver, FHA
Duties and responsibilities of magistrates, http://www.magistrates-association,org
The Concise Universal Encyclopaedia
The Geological Society, http://www.geolsoc.org.uk
Zoological Society of London, http://www.zsl.org
Royal Astronomical Society, http://www.ras.org
Royal Society of Edinburgh, http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Gatty Marine Laboratory, St Andrews, 1896-1996, FHA
The Ray Society, http://home.clara.net/raysoc/
History of East Grinstead by W H Hills
East Grinstead by D Gould
Letters in Edward Steers Scrapbook held by M Leppard
EG Bulletin no.32, p12, FHA
Doctor delighted by entrance to the town, article in EGC, 25/9/03, FHA
East Grinstead Rural District Council, RD/EG, WSRO
Documented memories of D Wheeler, FHA
Diary of A W Bingham, 1892, FHA
Beef & Faggot Charity, Fact Sheet 03/03, FHA
Felbridge Place papers, Box 3151, SRO
Proceedings of the Bench, article in EGO, 4/1/1904, EGL
Will of C H Gatty, SAY 6288, ESRO
Obituary in The Times, 16/12/03, FHA
Obituary in Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, 1904, FHA
Obituary in The Geological Society Quarterly Journal vol.60, FHA
Will and bequests in The Times, 22/4/04, FHA
St John the Divine, Felbridge, Fact Sheet, SJC 07/02i, FHA
Stained Glass of St John the Divine, Felbridge, Fact Sheet SJC 07/02ii, FHA