There is a small square tablet on the North wall of the North aisle to the East of the North door that is inscribed:
of Burstow, Surrey
a generous benefactress
to this benefice.
Emily Cook was born in London c1844, the daughter of James and Mary Ann Ellen Cook. In 1881, Emily is listed as living with her widowed father and sister Alice at Elm House, Burstow, where her father was working as the Assistant Vestry Parish Clerk. Emily never married and died on 28th January 1928, at the age of 83 years, and was buried in grave no. D11. 49-53 at St Johns Church.
Further along the North wall of the North aisle there is a rectangular brass plaque, about half way along. Across the top edge, on an interwoven ribbon are the words: OMNIA EXPLORATE MELIORA RETINETE, and along the bottom edge on an interwoven ribbon are the words: [ed: greek text omitted from web page]
The two mottos, first in Latin and then in Greek, both mean: PROVE ALL THINGS, HOLD FAST THAT WHICH IS GOOD. This quotation is taken from 1 Thessalonians 5: 21. The literal Latin version could more literally be translated, Explore all things, hold on to those which are better, although on the plaque they are probably meant to be the same.
Either side, also on an interwoven ribbon, are the words DVRATE, on the left and KAPTEPEITE, on the right. This is the Foljambe family motto, first in Latin and then in Greek, BE STEADFAST.
The inscription on the plaque reads:
IN MEMORY OF JAMES EVELYN ESQRE. OF THIS PLACE, FOUNDER OF THE
ORIGINAL CHAPEL HERE IN 1787, WHO DIED 1793, AGED 75. ALSO OF HIS
GREAT GRAND DAUR. AND REPRESENTATIVE SELINA, VICOUNTESS MILTON
LATE LADY OF THIS MANOR, WHO DIED 1883, AGED 71 AND WHOSE ELDEST
SON CECIL, LORD HAWKESBURY ERECTS THIS BRASS 1895.
HERE WE HAVE NO CONTINUING CITY, BUT WE SEEK ONE TO COME
James Evelyn was the last son of Edward and Julia Evelyn of the manor of Hedgecourt. On the death of Edward in 1751, the estate passed to James, who in 1763, built the manor house, replacing an older house called Heath Hatch, both of which once stood on the site of Whittington College, thus creating the Felbridge Place estate. In 1787, James Evelyn built a Chapel within his grounds that stood almost opposite the site of the current St Johns Church. This was the first place of worship in easy access for the people of Felbridge, whose official church was that of St Nicholas, Godstone, until the construction of St John the Divine, in 1865. On the death of James Evelyn in 1793, the Felbridge Place estate and Advowson of the Chapel passed to his only surviving daughter, Julia Annabella, wife of Sir George Augustus William Shuckburgh (Medley) Evelyn. On the death of Julia Annabella, Felbridge Place and the Advowson passed to her husband and on his death in 1804, they passed to their daughter Julia Evelyn Medley, who married the Hon. Charles Cecil Cope Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool. On the death of Charles Cecil Cope Jenkinson, the Felbridge Place estate and the Advowson was left in trust to their daughter, Lady Selina Charlotte Jenkinson. Selina first married Viscount William Charles Milton, who died in 1835, she then married Mr George Savile Foljambe in 1845, the property and Advowson then passed to her heir, eldest son, Cecil George Savile Foljambe, Lord Hawkesbury. However, on 20th March 1856, the Trust conveyed Felbridge Place and the Advowson of the Chapel to George Gatty Esq. of Crowhurst Place, E Sussex. On the construction of St Johns Church and the demolition of Felbridge Chapel, the Advowson then passed to the Church and was held by the Gatty family. Cecil, Lord Hawkesbury died in 1907, and so too the interests of the Evelyn family descendants in Felbridge and the Church.
High up on the North wall of the North chapel by the organ is a large carved marble tablet that is inscribed:
TO THE MEMORY OF
GEORGE GATTY ESQ.
OF FELBRIDGE PARK
FOUNDER OF THIS CHURCH
WHO DIED 19TH MAY 1864
WIDOW OF THE ABOVE
WHO DIED 26TH AUGUST 1876
George Gatty purchased Felbridge Place from Selina Vicountess Milton in 1856, moving from Crowhurst Place, in East Sussex. George was born in 1801, the son of Sarah Bevan and William Gatty, and married Miss Frances Sayer who was born c1803, the daughter of Elizabeth Lane and Henry Jenkinson Sayer. George and Frances had two children, George Edward born c1832, and Charles Henry born in 1836. George Edward attained a BA at Trinity College and was a Lieutenant in the East Kent Militia. He died in Barracks at Chichester on 13th July 1854, aged 22 years; his remains were interred at St Pauls Church, Chichester. George died at Felbridge Park on 19th May 1864, aged 63 years and was interred at St Mary the Virgin Church in the parish of Horne. On the completion of St Johns Church a tomb was constructed for the remains of George Gatty who was reinterred at St Johns, Felbridge. On the death of Frances, their second and only surviving son, Charles Henry, inherited Felbridge Place. The Gatty family vault is grave no. D7. 15-21.
Below and slightly West of the above tablet is a small rectangular marble tablet that is inscribed:
THE ORGAN INSTALLED IN 1936
WAS REPLACED BY
IVAN DONALD MARGARY
DEDICATED EASTER 1973
This refers to the Rodgers Columbian 75 organ that replaced the Hammond organ that was donated to the church in remembrance of Alfred Robert Margary, father of Ivan Donald Margary.
Along side the above tablet on the North wall of the North chapel is another, larger rectangular marble tablet that is inscribed:
THE ORGAN NEAR THIS TABLET
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ALFRED ROBERT MARGARY
OF CHARTHAM PARK
PATRON OF THIS LIVING
BORN 5TH JUNE 1853
DIED 17TH FEBRUARY 1936
This refers to the Hammond organ that replaced the original two-manual, hand blown pipe organ.
Directly below this tablet on the North wall of the North chapel there is another rectangular marble tablet that is inscribed:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ELIZABETH WALKER MARGARY
THE DEVOTED WIFE OF THE ABOVE
DIED 19TH APRIL 1940, AGED 81
Alfred Robert Margary was born in Canada, on 5th June 1853, the son of Georgina and Alfred Robert Margary who served with the 26th and the 54th Regiment, and was made a Honary Major on his retirement. In the 1850s he purchased the Chartham Park estate, moving from the Bournemouth area. Alfred and Georgina also had two daughters, Sarah Clementina who was born in 1855, and Caroline Matilda Elizabeth who was born in 1857. In 1881, Alfred Roberts occupation was listed as Captain RSAM (Col) and he was residing at Western House, Western Road, Lewes, Sussex. He married Miss Elizabeth Walker Larnach of Brambletye on 17th June 1893, and they had one son, Ivan Donald Margary, in 1896. On the death of Major Margary c1900, Colonel Alfred Robert, as he was then known, inherited the Chartham Park estate. Both Alfred and Elizabeth, known as Lily, worshipped at St Johns Church and Alfred became Patron of St Johns in 1912, having been persuaded to buy the Advowson from the East Grinstead Estate Company that had bought the Felbridge Place estate in 1911. Alfred died on 17th February 1936, and Elizabeth died on 19th April 1940, both were interred in the Margary family vault at St Peter and St Pauls Church, Lingfield.
To the West of the sedilia, set in the recess of the blocked off priests door in the South wall of the chancel, there is a large rectangular brass plaque in memory of the men who served in the First World War and did not return to Felbridge. At the top it is inscribed: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF OUR FELBRIDGE HEROES 1914 1918. Heading up the left hand side and down the right is inscribed: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS. THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
The names that appear are:
SAP. J. BONNY R. E. 12.3.15
PT. A. H. BINGHAM R. SX. 19.4.17
PT. S. BURCHETT R. SX. 8.8.17
PT. F. L. CREASY R. SX. 25.9.15
LNC. CPL. E. S. CREASY R. SX. 3.9.16
LIEUT. COL. A. V. COWLEY 9th KGS. OWN. 23.10.18
PT. A. A. GARWOOD LBR. COMPY. 9.1.18
PT. E. GARWOOD R. FUSLRS. 15.9.16
CPL. A. J. HILL R. SX. 1.6.17
PT. O. E. MEPPEM E. SY. 15.6.17
PT. S. C. MEPPEM QUEENS 8.10.16
PT. H. C. PAICE R. SX. 14.11.15
PT. G. MARDEN R. W. SY. 25.9.15
PT. S. A. SUMMERFIELD 21st LANCERS 15.3.16
PT. F. G. WHEELER E. KT. 26.1.16
Originally this memorial was situated high on the North wall of the sanctuary and in 1925, it was noted by Uvedale Lambert, that it was so dirty and high up that he could only read eight names, and he wrote The brass badly needs cleaning and it may be said that it is wrongly placed since a war memorial should always be set up where it is accessible and legible to all. At some point after this statement in 1925, the brass was moved to a lower position on the South wall of the chancel where the fifteen names can now be easily viewed.
For full details on each entry see War Memorials of St John the Divine, Felbridge, SJC07/02v.
Also against the South wall in the chancel, can be found a pair of carved light oak credence tables, (the credence table was designed to hold the bread and wine during the Eucharist or Communion). Each of these tables has a plaque that is inscribed with the same memorial that reads:
FOR THE SACRED AND LOVING MEMORY OF
F/O A G F CHEESEWRIGHT, R A F V R
WHO WAS KILLED WHILST P O W IN JAVA
4TH MAY 1942
SPLENDID YOU PASSED
THE GREAT SURRENDER MADE
INTO THE LIGHT THAT
NEVER MORE SHALL FADE.
O VALIANT HEART
For full details see War Memorials of St John the Divine, Felbridge SJC07/02v
The altar table itself, has a carving along the edge that reads, Do this in remembrance of me, taken from Luke 22: 19, that was commissioned by Mrs Anne Halsall of the Old Pheasantry, Woodcock Hill, Felbridge, in 1999, in memory of her husband Robin, who died in July 1994. There is a plaque on the South end of the under-standing of the Table that reads:
THIS INSCRIPTION WAS ADDED
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ROBIN RAMSAY HALSALL
To the West of the chancel, on the South wall of the nave, is a marble tablet that reads:
In loving memory
IVAN DONALD MARGARY
23rd November 1896 18th February 1976
Archaeologist and Historian
PATRON OF THIS BENEFICE
GENEROUS AND RESPECTED FRIEND
TO THIS CHURCH AND COMMUNITY
Ivan Donald Margary was born on 23rd November 1896, the son of Elizabeth and Colonel Alfred Robert Margary, and in 1900, they moved to the Margary family home of Chartham Park, East Grinstead. After finishing his education, Ivan Margary spent the duration of the First World War as a Lieutenant with the Royal Sussex Regiment, being wounded in action in Gallipoli. On returning to Chartham Park he set about constructing a two-acre Wild Garden within the grounds, perhaps as a means of coming to terms with the effects of the war. In 1927, he inherited a substantial sum of money and the house called Yew Lodge from his uncle, Sydney Larnach of Brambletye, Forest Row, Sussex. Yew Lodge was later to become his permanent residence after his marriage to Miss Dorothy Marie Jolly of Hill Crest, Dormans Park, at St Johns Church, Dormansland in January 1932.
In 1927, Ivan Margary joined the Sussex Archaeological Society, and in 1932, he was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London. During his life he was President of the Sussex Records Society, President of the North End and Felbridge Cricket Club, the East Grinstead Society, and Vice-President to the Lingfield and District Fire Brigade. He was a generous man and much of his inheritance was donated as gifts to the Society of Antiquaries, the Royal Archaeological Institute, and Archaeological Societies of Sussex, Surrey and Kent. He also underwrote the Antiquity Trust; a fund set up to enable the continued publication of Antiquity. It was also largely due to him that the Margary Room at Barbican House, Lewes was reconstructed and refurbished, and the quadrangle at Exeter College, Oxford was built. Both he and his family were great benefactors of Felbridge, donating to the village the Felbridge Institute and land to the St John Ambulance Brigade on which they built their hall. Ivan also held the Patronage of St Johns Church for many years after the death of his father in 1936. In 1961, he also set up the Ivan Donald Margary Trust Fund, an endowment for the incumbent of St Johns church.
Ivan Margary was the leading authority on Roman roads in this country, establishing the routes of many miles of roads and publishing Roman Ways of the Weald in 1948, and two volumes of Roman Roads of Britain in 1955 and 1957. He not only wrote about Roman history but also excavated many archaeological sites. It was due to him that the site of the Roman Palace of Fishbourne was secured and excavated enabling future generations to visit and understand high class living in Roman Britain.
Ivan Margary died on the 18th February 1976, aged 79 years and made many bequests to his employees. On the death of his wife Dorothy, c1979, she left £10,000 to Rev C R Boff, vicar of St Johns, Felbridge, among other bequests.
A small wafer box made of glass with a silver metal top, the underside of which is guilded is to be found in the vestry. The box measures 4ins by 3ins (10cm by 7.5cm) and 1in (2.5cm) deep. Inscribed on the lid is the following:
St. Johns Fellowship
in the memory of the late Vicar
REV. A. SIDLEY
1932 - 1933
For full details see Stained Glass of St John the Divine, Felbridge, SJC07/02ii.
The Holy Bible, British and Foreign Bible Society, 1966
Latin and Greek translations supplied by Rev SG Bowen, A King and D Webb
Notes of St Johns Church by U Lambert, 1925, FDA
The Sayer Pedigree, SAY/3526, ESRO
The Gatty Pedigree, SAY3623-3626, ESRO
Victoria History of Surrey, SHC
Notes on the Earl of Liverpool by Donald Thorpe, FHA
Derivation of the Felbridge Branch of the Evelyn Family, 1976, FHA
The History of the Grange by B & L Dighton, EG Lib
History of East Grinstead by W H Hills, 1906, EG Lib
Marriage of Mr I D Margary, article from The Courier, Jan 1932, FHA
Millionaire remembers his staff, article from local paper, Feb 1976, FHA
Vicar and Doctor get £10,000 each, article from local paper, FHA
Ivan D Margary FSA, His Legacy to Roman History, Fact Sheet SJC11/01, FHA
Documented Memoirs of A Turner, Farm Bailiff to Chartham Park, FDA