This document charts the history of Felbridge School from its foundation in the late 18th century through to the events of the present day. It outlines the terms and rules under which the school was originally founded and covers the school masters and mistresses who, over the years, have been responsible for the education of the children of the Felbridge area. The document concludes with a few success stories of students that were educated at Felbridge School.
The founding of Felbridge School
Felbridge School can claim to be the oldest school in Surrey that is still using its original school building, being founded and endowed by James Evelyn on 3rd November 1783.
The Evelyn family first arrived in the area in 1588, when George Evelyn of Nutfield bought seventy acres of Felbridge consisting of thirty acres adjoining Felbridge Water and forty acres being the Star Barn fields. The family had made their fortune from the manufacture of gunpowder and it has been suggested that their interest in the area was due to the abundance of wood, a raw material in the making of gunpowder. By 1692, George Evelyn, the great grandson of George Evelyn of Nutfield, had built a house called Heath Hatch located in the vicinity of what is now Whittington College and he settled the new house along with the seventy acres of land in Felbridge on his son William. In 1719, William sold the property to his brother Edward who also purchased part of the manor of Hedgecourt and a house called Park Corner, now known as the Star Inn. In 1751, Edward died and his estate, by now over 1,500 acres, passed to his only surviving son, James Evelyn. James Evelyn made Felbridge his sole residence and in 1763 extended the property known as Heath Hatch calling it Felbridge House. At this date Felbridge was not a village but a country estate and the only residents of Felbridge were the estate workers and their families.
James Evelyn was an enlightened man for his era and would appear to have been a caring master to work for. Not only did he found the School, but he also built and endowed a chapel in Felbridge for local worship (the official church being situated in Godstone some 20 miles north of Felbridge), and founded the Beef and Faggot Charity to provide sustenance for the most needy of the community. [For further details see The Felbridge Chapel, Fact Sheet SJC 05/00 and The Beef and Faggot Charity, Fact Sheet SJC 03/03]
Felbridge School was founded for the instruction of twelve poor children to be taught by a schoolmaster in a schoolhouse. A new house was lately built, and in 1783 one and half acres at the northeast end of New Field, formerly part of Felbridge Heath, was inclosed, the house being appointed to the use of the school and the schoolmaster.
On 16th September 1783, James Evelyn took out a seven-year fire insurance on the schoolhouse with Hand-in-Hand, the oldest fire insurance company in the world. The property was insured for the sum of £200, £100 for the bricks and £100 for the timber. The Hand-in-Hand fire mark with the policy no. 92019 below was affixed to east wall of the building above the ground floor window (now the old library). Sadly, and probably due to its rarity, the fire mark was stolen in the late 1980s.
To maintain the school, James Evelyn conveyed the property to Rev. George Bethune of Rowfant, and his heirs, and granted him an annuity of £21 per annum (later rising to £35 per annum) gained from the rents from Stockland House and forty-eight acres of land called Stockland in Bletchingley, in his ownership and at the time under the occupation of Robert Richards. The annuity was to be used to keep the school in good condition and was to be used first on repairs of the schoolhouse, the fences and grounds, and in insuring the building, and the remainder to be paid to the schoolmaster in quarterly payments.
1) The schoolmaster was to be appointed by James Evelyn for the duration of his life and on his death by his wife and then their heirs. If the heirs were infants then the Rectors or Vicars of East Grinstead, Worth, Godstone and Horne were to make the appointment jointly.
2) The schoolmaster could have the possession and use of the schoolhouse, grounds, gardens and other premises on the land.
3) The schoolmaster was to teach the children of the School the 3Rs, (arithmetic, reading and writing), and the catechism (a short book giving, in question and answer form, a brief summary of the basic principles the Christian faith).
Parents were not to be charged for anything except primers (school textbooks that covered the basic subjects), Testaments and writing books, and the schoolmaster had to provide quills, ink and books, and teach the children how to make their own pens.
4) The hours of teaching from Candlemas (2nd February) to 1st November were to be 8am to 4pm and the rest of the year from 9am to 3pm. On Thursdays and Saturdays the School was to finish at 12 midday.
5) The School was to be open for forty-seven weeks a year, with one weeks holiday at Easter and Whitsun and three weeks at Christmas.
6) The schoolmaster was at liberty to teach up to twelve other children on his own account. The boys were to be between the ages of six and ten, and girls between the ages of six and thirteen.
7) The schoolmaster was to instruct twelve poor children, eight boys and four girls from the four surrounding parishes, one girl from each parish and one boy from East Grinstead, two boys each from Worth and Horne and three boys from Godstone, and the children had to live within two and half miles of the school.
8) The children to attend the School were to be nominated by James Evelyn for the duration of his life and on his death by his wife and then their heirs. If the heirs were infants then the Rectors or Vicars of East Grinstead, Worth, Godstone and Horne were to make the decision jointly.
9) The schoolmaster had to be of Protestant faith and not practise any mechanical trade. When the children assembled each day the schoolmaster had to say the Lords Prayer and teach the children to repeat it after him, even before they could read or write.
10) The schoolmaster could also be dismissed by James Evelyn for the duration of his life and on his death by his wife and then their heirs. If the heirs were infants then the Rectors or Vicars of East Grinstead, Worth, Godstone and Horne were to make the dismissal decision jointly.
To add to the work load of the schoolmaster/mistress, James Evelyn also required that they provide and distribute beef broth from the first Thursday of November to the last Thursday of April, and a roast side of beef weighing no less than 56lbs/25.4kg every Sunday of the year to between twelve and fourteen of the poor and needy. To accompany the roast they were to provide 1ds worth of beer and 1ds worth of bread. Two hundred bundles of faggots were supplied each year to cook the meat, and the schoolmaster/mistress was paid 6d a week from November to April for preparing and distributing the beef broth. For complying with the task, the schoolmaster/mistress received free lodging and was allowed to share in the weekly dinner of roast beef. On the death of James Evelyn in 1793, a codicil of his will ensured that the provision of beef broth and a roast dinner continued with the formation of the Beef and Faggot Charity that still continues to this day in a modified form.
The house consisted of a rectangular building lying southwest/northeast, nestling between one of two rows of sweet chestnuts that had been planted circa 1714 by the Evelyn family to celebrate the restoration of a Protestant monarch George I, under the Act of Settlement. The house was divided into three rooms on the ground floor. The house was of typical construction found in the Felbridge area during the 18th century. The ground floor was built of local brick with the first floor walls in oak timber framing, plastered internally and tile hung externally, with a tiled roof.
Entrance into the schoolmasters house was via a door between two windows left of centre in the south wall. The schoolroom was far right, accessed by an arched door in the north wall, with a gothic style arched window in the northeast wall. The kitchen had a large inglenook that was in the central portion of the house, with the schoolmasters parlour to the left. The first floor contained the schoolmasters living and sleeping accommodation, accessed by stairs (more like a step ladder) to the right of the inglenook. All the children were taught in the single schoolroom regardless of age, sex and ability.
Felbridge School in the 18th/19th Centuries
Conclusive evidence for the name of the first schoolmaster has not yet come to light, but in 1801 Allen Cook was listed as teaching school on the list of tenants of the Evelyn estate receiving an annuity devised by the will of James Evelyn when he died in 1793. This suggests that Allen Cook had been the master at the School since at least 1793, and possibly for sometime before that date to have been acknowledged by James Evelyn in his will.
By 1840, the schoolmasters house had undergone some slight alterations with the building of a staircase against the north wall giving easier access to the first floor. Also by this date, a wooden outbuilding with a tiled roof had been built to the north of the schoolroom, which is still standing and in use to this day.
It is not known when Allen Cook left the School but by 1841, William Chart was listed as the master. The 1851 census records the School House occupied by William Chart aged sixty-nine. Also living in the household were Sarah his wife, aged sixty-two, and three of their daughters, Sarah aged twenty-two, Elizabeth aged nineteen and Mary aged eighteen. It is not known how long William Chart remained at the school although there is evidence to suggest that he died at the start of 1860. In 1861, his wife Sarah was recorded as lodging with George Graves and his family in London Road, East Grinstead. Sarah was recorded as a widow and former schoolmistress, implying that she also taught at the School. William was born in Horne in September 1783 the son of John and Mary Chart, and from letters to one of his grandsons who had emigrated to America in about 1850, was very frail towards the end of his life.
In 1855, the Felbridge Place estate was sold by the descendents of James Evelyn to George Gatty of Crowhurst Park in Sussex. With the purchase of the estate, George Gatty became the sole trustee of the School Charity assuming all the powers that James Evelyn had held. It is possible that with the new lord of the manor controlling the School, William Chart retired at this time being replaced by a younger schoolmaster called George Garrett.
The 1861 census records the School House occupied by George Garrett aged thirty-seven from Hartfield, listed as schoolmaster. Also living in the household were his wife Charlotte aged thirty-six from East Grinstead, listed as the schoolmistress, along with their children, Louisa aged twelve, Fanny aged eleven, George aged eight and Walter aged one. The East Grinstead parish registers also record the baptism of Charlotte born of George and Charlotte Garrett on 26th January 1859, but as she does not appear in the 1861 census she must have died as an infant. It is interesting to note that in 1851, George Garrett was working as a solicitors clerk, living in Church Street, East Grinstead.
In 1860, shortly after the arrival of George Gatty, the schoolhouse was extended to include a second schoolroom attached to the southwest side of the schoolmasters house, the extension probably funded by George Gatty. Map evidence suggests that a midden toilet block was also constructed some distance from the southwest corner of the new classroom. It would seem likely that George and Charlotte Garrett were appointed to the School as with a second school room there would have been a definite need for a second teacher, George taking responsibility for the older children and Charlotte the younger.
In 1866, the Charity Commission decided that George Gatty could not be sole trustee of the School Charity and made it a requirement that he must obtain consent from other trustees. These trustees included Frances Gatty his wife and the vicar of the newly formed St Johns church, who at that time was Edward Thomas Fellows who had been the officiating minister at the Evelyn chapel until its closure with the opening of the new church.
Evidence suggests that George Garrett left the School in 1870/1, being succeeded by Hugh Lloyd as the schoolmaster. The 1871 census records the School House occupied by Hugh Lloyd, aged thirty-one from Cheshire, and his wife Ann aged thirty-four from Halifax, Yorkshire. Hugh and Ann married in January 1871 in Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire, suggesting that they may have arrived at the School shortly after to take up the position of schoolmaster. It is not known when Hugh Lloyd left the school but by 1881 he and his wife had moved to Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire where Hugh was employed as a Schoolmaster and School Attendance Officer (Certificated), being replaced at Felbridge School by George Henry Craven. In 1901, Hugh and Ann Lloyd had moved again, this time to Pentridge in Dorset where Hugh was still working as a schoolmaster.
In 1876 the Elementary Education Act (Sandons Act) was passed compelling parents to send their children to school to learn the 3Rs. The schoolmaster in 1876 was Thomas G Hughes, but very little is known about him, except he was replaced by George Henry Craven sometime before 1881. In 1880, the Elementary Education Act (Mundellas Act) was passed that made Elementary Education compulsory for all children between the ages of five and ten. To cater for the increased number of children the school was again extended with the addition of another classroom to accommodate the ninety-three children that now attended. The charge for this education was 2d a week.
In 1881 the census records George Craven as the schoolmaster, aged twenty-seven from Thornhill, Yorkshire. Living in the same household were his wife Sarah listed as a governess, aged thirty-two from Gloucester, Georges nephew, Robert John Webster aged fourteen from Armeny, York, listed as a boarder and scholar, and visiting the family was Mary Amelia Dodge aged twenty from Thames Ditton whose occupation was listed as domestic servant. It is perhaps of some interest that Marys older sister Ellen was employed as a kitchen maid at Felbridge Park Mansion, the name by which Felbridge House was then known.
George Craven was born in February 1854, the oldest son of William and Catherine, and it is worth noting that there is a badly weathered headstone in St Johns churchyard dedicated to Charles Samuel Craven of the Colonial Civil Service, the eldest son of Joseph and Margaret. Joseph, also a schoolmaster, was born in Thornhill in 1838 making him sixteen years older than George and although it is unclear whom his parents were, he may be an uncle or cousin of George. What is clear is that there must be a connection between the two Craven families for Charles Samuel to be acknowledged on a headstone at St Johns churchyard in Felbridge.
In 1882, the School was extended further and several alterations were carried out on the schoolmasters house. Another classroom was built to the south of the classroom that had been built in 1860. This new classroom allowed the infants to leave the original schoolroom giving them much needed space. The schoolmasters parlour was relocated to the vacated schoolroom and the old parlour was converted to a cloakroom. A fireplace was cut into the back of the inglenook fireplace to warm the new parlour and a door was cut into the wall to the right of the inglenook giving access from the kitchen area.
George Craven left the School in 1885, being succeeded by Edward Francis Shaw, and in 1901, George Craven is found in Hereford listed as a clergyman of the Church of England, implying that on leaving the teaching profession he turned to the church.
Felbridge School in the early 20th Century
Edward Francis Shaw and his wife Alice took charge of Felbridge School in 1885, when Edward was twenty-seven years old. Edward was born in Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, in 1857, and Alice was born in Reigate, Surrey in 1855. They lived in the School House, and Alice taught the younger children, five to seven year olds, and Edward taught the older children, from eight upwards.
During the service of the Shaws, Felbridge School saw many changes. The first major change occurred in 1891, when the Elementary Education Act made grants available to Elementary Schools to enable them to cease charging for an education, although at Felbridge children continued to pay 2d a week until after 1900. The elementary Education Act was quickly followed in 1893 by the Elementary Education (School Attendance) Act that raised the school leaving age to eleven.
In 1894, the school day began with a prayer and a hymn, lessons followed until midday. Grace was said before leaving to go home for dinner, returning to school at 2pm. Lessons included arithmetic taught with an abacus, reading, writing using chalk and a slate, spelling, English history, religious knowledge, geography, needlework, woodwork and singing. Girls and boys were segregated at playtime when games such as skipping, marbles, tops and hopscotch were played. There were no school fields only a garden at the back and front, and games were played on the lawn behind the house. There was only one playtime, in the morning, and if it was wet or cold the children had to sit inside quietly.
The 7th March 1896 saw the formation of the Felbridge School Board, and in 1899 the Elementary Education (School Attendance) Act (1893) Amendment Act was passed that raised the school leaving age to twelve.
In 1902 the Balfour Act was passed that established a system of local government for Elementary Schools. Felbridge School was officially known as Godstone - Felbridge School being listed as no.146 by the education authority. Felbridge School remained as a church school and the Diocesan Reports record that it maintained a very high standard of education and attendance, with accommodation for seventy-five pupils, forty-five older children and thirty infants.
In 1904 the School was used for a political rally for the first time, the news story reported a disappointing turn out of electorates, although this was only to be expected considering the rally was held during the middle of harvest time in this very rural area!
In 1905, the education authorities published their report of Felbridge National (Certified Efficient) School after an inspection of the School in 1904, which gives a small snap shot of the school at that time. The report stated:
The School consists of one building with a Mixed and an Infants department, and one male and one female teacher.
There were 13 boys, 19 girls and 16 infants, giving a total of 48.
Average attendance: Boys - 10.9%, Girls - 16.9%.
Number at school for dinner, about 12.
Note: the school is growing at the present time, and four come from Sussex. The Mixed department is able to accommodate 44 children @ 10 sq ft per scholar and the Infants department is able to accommodate 33 children at 9 sq ft per scholar.
Main Room 28ft long, 16ft wide, 10ft 6ins in height Boys and Mixed.
Room A 20ft long, 14ft 6ins wide, 10ft 3ins in height Infants.
The surface of the playground natural surface, very muddy with 2 Spanish Chestnut trees on the SE side of the building.
Fencing and gate part palisade and part boarded fence.
Water for sanitary purpose and drinking a well at the end of the Masters garden, with a storage tank.
There is a midden closet that is emptied once a year.
1 closet for the boys, 1 closet for the girls, this being 3ft wide with doors and a brick floor. Drainage from the urinal is to the midden, waste from the Masters house and surface drainage is to the ditch.
Walls brick, 14ins thick with a damp course.
Woodwork in poor condition, some rotten and badly needing painting.
Roof tiled, many broken and signs of battens below, ridge tiles broken.
Gutters and flashings require attention.
Entrances door open inwards.
Cloakroom shared and common, separate accommodation proposed.
Cleaning a woman cleaner is employed for scrubbing at 1/6 a week. A boy sweeps and dusts daily at 1/- a week. The woman is also responsible for the cleaning of the closets.
Doors 2 opening inwards and 1 outwards.
Windows portions of the windows open, these are centrally hung. The gable and one casement window are badly worn.
Floor woodblock, worn in places.
Decoration common brick dado, distempered walls and whitened ceiling. Redecoration required. The plaster in the ceiling is cracked and broken in places.
Lighting fair, some lights are of obscured glass.
Ventilation 3 outlets in the ceiling.
Heating open fireplace of wasteful pattern, no fireguard.
Desk system seat 5.
The whole of the mixed department are taught in this room.
Doors 1 opening inwards.
Windows portions open, gable window worn, bottom rail worn out.
Floor boarded and in fair condition.
Decoration same as main room.
Ventilation 2 in ceiling, stuffy.
Heating open fireplace of poor pattern, with a fireguard.
Desk system one desk one seat, fixed on a very awkward and steep gallery.
Parlour 16ft 6ins long x 7ft 4ins wide x 7ft 6ins high.
Kitchen 16ft 6ins x 11ft x 7ft 6ins
Bed 1 - 17ft 6ins x 9ft 6ins x 6ft 6ins
Bed 2 - 14ft x 11ft 6ins x 6ft 6ins
Bed 3 - 17ft 6ins x 8ft x 6ft 6ins
1 Earth closet draining to the ditch.
Water well in the garden with cistern.
State of repair:
House is a very old one and in good condition but requires a new stove in the kitchen. There is a brick floor. It needs painting and papering, and the ceilings whitening. Roof not good, outside painting required.
Rent not settled, (at time of report 10/- a week + rates)
Observations and Recommendations:
32 children in Mixed department, which could accommodate 44.
16 Infants on the books, which could take 33.
2 small separate playgrounds, 1 for boys and 1 for girls and infants.
Original building erected 1784, Main Room erected in 1860 when the original school was thrown into the Masters house. Infant classroom added in 1882.
Room A SW and N walls very damp.
Sanitary arrangements need improving midden closet replaced by EC and additional 1 built for the Infants. Brick floors to be replaced by concrete floor.
The 2 Chestnuts trees on the SE side of the building, 1 immediately adjoining the Infants department and 1 the Masters house, should be removed.
A covered shed should be provided, especially with the Board of Educational regulations regarding physical drill and the fact that 12 children stay daily for dinner.
Drainage system should be re-modelled.
Proposed new entrance and improved cloakroom accommodation.
On 7th February 1905, the School Survey Report was published outlining the costs of all proposed work that needed to be completed at the School:
Roof, gutters etc £ 4 Masters House
Outside painting £ 3 Roof etc £ 4
Woodblock floor in main room £ 1 Outside painting £ 2
Broken plaster £ 2 Redecorate interior £10
Paint dados & redecorate internally £18 Renew stove £ 3
Repair fence £ 5 Total £19
Total £33 Grand Total £52
In November 1905, agreement was made that Edward Shaw would be paid £130 per annum and Alice £35 per annum. The rent on the School House was fixed at £17 per annum to be paid on a quarterly tenancy to commence from December; this was later reduced to £10 per annum. It was found that the £21 per annum rent for the Gatty family had not been collected from the property for the past thirty years! It had earlier been found that the Gatty family had also not collected the rent from Stockland House and lands either; suggesting that George Gatty and his son Charles must have been financing the school out of their own pockets. To rectify the situation the tenants of Stockland House made a payment of £400 in settlement of the outstanding debts.
Gradually all the recommendations of the School Report were carried out. By 1906, the two chestnut trees had been felled, the old entrance was sealed off and new boys and girls entrance and cloakrooms were installed. It was also probably at this time that the front door to the schoolmasters house was moved to its current position and the windows either side of the old door position were replaced and also moved. The provision of School meals was also introduced for those in need, and in 1907, medical examinations became compulsory.
For the majority of their service at Felbridge School the Shaws taught the children of the estate workers of Felbridge Place estate, and in 1906 forty-three were eligible for elementary education. However, after the sale of the Felbridge Place estate in 1911, the population of Felbridge began to rise and within twenty years had doubled. By 1914, with the onset of the First World War, gardening had been added to the curriculum, each child having a small plot of land to dig, plant and grow vegetables.
The Shaws are believed to be the longest serving teachers that Felbridge School has seen, although Allen Cook may yet prove to have served longer. Edward Shaw was a strict disciplinarian and was called before the Board of Managers on several occasions after complaints from parents, although he was never reprimanded and appears to have been a highly respected Head Teacher. He had served thirty-two years at his death on the 22nd April 1916, being succeeded by Miss Edith Archer. Edward Shaw was buried in St Johns churchyard [For further details see Biographies from the churchyard of St John the Divine, Fact Sheet SJC 07/02vi]. Mrs Shaw continued to teach the younger children until September 1918, when she decided to retire due to ill health.
In 1916, Miss Edith Archer joined Felbridge School, half way through the First World War, by which time at least three old boys had been killed Frederick Leonard Creasey, Herbert Charles Paice and Frederick George Wheeler, and a further seven old boys of Felbridge School would be reported to the children before the end of the war Alec Henry Bingham, brothers Albert Victor and Frank Brand, Ernest Stanley Creasey (brother of Frederick Leonard), brothers Albert Arthur and Ernest Garwood, Alfred James Hill and Sydney Meppem. As well as Norman James Conquest and Leslie Walter Rose, both killed in 1918, who had attended Felbridge School but had moved from the Felbridge area at the time that they enlisted.
In 1918, as a result of the war, food rationing was introduced to Britain and the children of Felbridge School rose to the challenge by collecting blackberries for jam making. In all, nearly 400lbs/180kg of blackberries were collected during the month of September 1918. The blackberries were forwarded to the War Womens Association for the use of the troops at home and abroad. It was also in 1918 that the Fisher Education Act was introduced, raising the school leaving age to fourteen.
By 1923, as well as doing PE, the girls were also playing rounders, netball and hockey and the boys played football and cricket, with Games every Friday afternoon. These activities were generally carried out on the Village Green but Games were occasionally prevented by the presence of gypsies setting up camp on the Green. By early 1924, Edith Archer was suffering from ill health and in April the School Managers agreed that Miss Alice Richards should succeed Edith Archer as head teacher, although she did not resign until July or vacate the schoolhouse until October, enabling Miss Richards to move into the schoolhouse, which still went with the position of head teacher.
In 1925, a School Honours Board was presented to the School that was hung in the junior classroom. This board had the names of the brighter children who had taken and passed their Scholarships to the Technical School in Redhill. These included names like Henry Phillips who passed his scholarship in 1923, as well as his brother George two years later along with Robert Fillery in 1925, Edward Crump, Douglas Lynch and Donald Draper in 1927, and George Elliot and Douglas Paterson in 1929. School Prizes were also given out at a ceremony held at the School and later at the Felbridge Institute; these included prizes for attendance, neat handwriting, most popular boy or girl, etc., the children being awarded prizes like a book, propelling pencil or silver medal.
Under Alice Richards, swimming lessons were made available to the children in 1925, and in 1927, blacksmithing classes were being considered for the boys because of the rural nature of the area. Then in November 1927, Miss Alice Richards left Felbridge School, taking up a position at Crown Road Girls Council School, grade 3, in Sutton, Surrey, to be replaced at Felbridge School by Miss Ruth Downer in January 1928, who came from Dormans Council School.
Ruth Downer was born on 24th November 1896 and was educated at Dormans Council School between 1906 and 1910 and Whyteleafe County School between 1910 and 1916. She was recognised by the Board of Education as a Supplementary Teacher on 1st September 1916. She trained at Goldsmiths University of London from September 1919, passing her certificate examination in 1921, qualifying to teach boys, girls and infants between the ages of seven and fourteen. She also held certificates in Physical Training and Needlework. Her teaching experience included teaching at Blindley Heath Church of England School between 1916 and 1917, Dormans Council School between 1917 and 1919, Caterham Valley, between 1921 and 1924, and, at the time of her appointment, had been back teaching at Dormans Council School from 1924.
During her time at Felbridge School the use of a playing field was secured from Mr Sinden who allowed his field in the Park to be used for games. This field was eventually purchased for the School and is the current playing field to the southwest of the School. Mr Sinden offered the field rent-free but the School Managers decided the pay him 10/- per annum for the use. After collecting the first years rent, Mr Sinden presented the School with a cricket bat bought with the recently received rent money.
In 1928, Ruth Downer introduced a school uniform, although not all pupils could afford to buy it. Girls wore hats and gym tunics and boys wore caps and blazers in brown and yellow, with a small badge at the front with FS on it. Sports clothes consisting of shorts and a T-shirt were also introduced, again with FS on the front of the T-shirt. Under Ruth Downer, girls aged over eleven went to Lingfield School on Friday afternoons for cookery and housewifery classes, and boys went on a different day for woodworking classes. Also by this date, Country Dancing, Morris Dancing, Sword Dancing and Maypole Dancing had been introduced and children competed at the East Grinstead Musical Festival and the Guildford Festival. The garden at the back of the schoolhouse was divided into small plots, and two boys shared each plot.
In 1929, School Inspectors visited the School and made the following recommendations:
1) Heating of the larger classroom needed alteration.
2) Boys playground was in a bad condition and needed attention.
3) The big tree in the girls playground should be cut down.
4) Arrangements for drying the childrens boots etc. should be provided.
In July 1929, the Education Authority proposed a re-grouping of schools scheme whereby boys and girls between the ages of eleven and fourteen would attend a senior school, in the case of Felbridge this was Lingfield Central School, but this was not introduced until 1939. In 1930 the School Roll had seventy-one children but by the end of 1935, the School Roll had dropped to thirty-five children.
In 1932, Ruth Downer married and at that time a female head teacher had to resign her position as soon as she married. Miss A M Wade was appointed unattached teacher to take temporary charge of the school from 30th August 1932. On 1st December 1932, Felbridge School transferred from a Church School to a Council School, and on 5th December, Miss A M Wade left the School, being succeeded by a supply head teacher, Miss D M Hayes, who stayed for only four days, being replaced by Miss D Purfield on 12th December. The School Managers felt that the quick succession of temporary supply teachers was totally unacceptable and complained to Surrey County Council who had taken over control of the School. There is no more mention of the succession of supply teachers in the School Log or Managers Minute Book apart from 1933 with reference to Miss Marion Roadnight. However, the head teacher that succeeded Miss Elsie Downer did not take up her position until 1935.
In 1933, now under Council Control, the Surrey Education Committee sent a surveyor to measure up for an estimate for re-building and renovating the School, and in 1934, work commenced. Two new classrooms were added to the classroom built in 1860. A boiler room was built onto the southwest side of the two old classrooms that were converted to a cloakroom and store, and the cloakroom that had been converted from the schoolmasters old parlour became the staffroom.
Felbridge School during the War years
Miss Elsie Dowding joined Felbridge School in 1935, having gained her teaching diploma at Reading University. She had left England to work in New Zealand, but returned to England and taught PT as a senior assistant at the Central School in Morden, Surrey.
Shortly after her arrival at Felbridge School, The Glades was purchased and added to the School grounds. The Glades is the stretch of land between the row of chestnut trees and the Copthorne Road (formerly the old road across Hedgecourt Common that had long since been replaced by the route of Hedgecourt Road, now known as the Copthorne Road). It was under Elsie Dowding that a second attempt to introduce a uniform was made, this time blue and egg yellow. The boys uniform consisted of a blue jumper, grey trousers, blue and egg yellow striped tie, blue blazer and cap, and for the girls a white blouse, gymslip, blue beret and navy raincoat. A squirrel and chestnut leaves replaced the FS emblem. A competition was held to design the new emblem that was based on the squirrels that were seen playing in the newly acquired Glades. The competition was won by Billy Pentecost, his design being modified by Mrs Edith Sciver, an artist friend of Elsie Dowding. Unfortunately, World War II broke out shortly after the decision to reintroduce school uniform and this delayed its complete introduction until the mid 1940s.
At the time that Elsie Dowding had arrived at Felbridge School, the curriculum included English, reading, arithmetic, tables, scripture, history, geography, embroidery, gardening (the vegetables grown being used for school dinners) and music & movement that included music, drama, country dancing, sword dancing and maypole dancing. The girls played rounders, netball and stallball, and the boys played football and cricket. After school activities included boxing and ballroom dancing for the boys under the direction of Miss V Thorne and three old boys from the school.
In 1939, the school re-grouping scheme was implemented with seniors aged eleven to fourteen being transferred to Lingfield Central School, Oxted County Grammar School or Redhill Technical if they lived in surrey and East Grinstead Senior School at Chequer Mead or East Grinstead Grammar School if they lived in Sussex. This action left just forty-seven children at Felbridge School; however, this figure quickly rose to one hundred and one after the outbreak of World War II and an intake of evacuees from London. The evacuee children formed one class being taught by Mrs Rose. Lessons continued with frequent air-raid interruptions, the children diving for cover in the school air-raid shelters, half in Hurricane and half in Spitfire. The children of Felbridge School also had to keep a daybook of the events as they unfurled. During the War, the School was also designated a Rest Centre for the WRVS and, in the event of a major incident, the co-ordination centre for the dead and wounded. Like World War I, some of the old boys became casualties of this war, Harold Curtis in 1940 and Mark William Heselden in 1944.
During World War II, the children of Felbridge School, like those in World War I, collected blackberries for jam making when rationing was introduced, as well as wild plants and herbs to supplement the shortage of drugs [For further information see The Felbridge Herb Gatherers, Fact Sheet SJC 01/04]. During the War, because of a shortage of teachers and to try and even out the number of children attending modern school and grammar school, the 13+ was introduced in 1942, allowing children who had failed their 11+ at the age of eleven to try again, and several old Felbridge pupils, then at East Grinstead Seniors and Lingfield Seniors, passed and went on to Grammar School in either East Grinstead Grammar or Oxted County Grammar School. One past Felbridge student to be given a second opportunity was Marion Pike who passed her 13+ having failed her 11+, and went the East Grinstead Grammar School. After leaving school, she went on to become a telephonist at Gatwick Airport in the late 1940s, when it was in its infancy.
Felbridge School Post War
After the war, the number of children on the School Roll dropped back to sixty-seven as the evacuated children returned to their homes. There was also yet another attempt to re-introduce the school uniform with limited success due to the continued rationing in Britain.
In December 1958, Miss Elsie Dowding retired and was succeeded in January 1959 by Miss Mary Goble, who chose not to live in the School House as all previous head teachers had, so in May the School took possession of the School House incorporating the space for use in the School. Mary Goble is remembered for two things during her time at the School, the introduction of the annual Rose Queen ceremony, and achieving a hundred per cent swimming success for the children leaving Felbridge School.
The first Rose Queen ceremony took place in 1959, when Pamela Tullet was crowned as Rose Queen, her knight being David Dixon. These two children would then become head girl and head boy for the next twelve months. At the next years ceremony, the reigning Rose Queen became the Forget-me-not Queen on the crowing of the new Rose Queen.
In 1963, the learning of French was incorporated into the curriculum, and in 1966, swimming became the main priority with a fund being set up to build a swimming pool at Felbridge School that opened in the first time in 1968. The introduction of the swimming pool did enable the School to win the David Morris Trophy on two occasions, 1968 and 1973, being awarded for having a hundred per cent of under nine year olds being able to swim, and in 1970 the school won the Dolphin Trophy for swimming achievements. Also in 1970, cycling proficiency was also introduced to the School.
However, with so much time spent on Rose Queen rehearsal and swimming, several parents felt that academic studies were being neglected. Efforts to discuss their concerns were rebuffed by Mary Goble so in November 1970 a group of parents formed the Parent Association with the aim to raise funds for various improvements to the School including indoor toilets and extra classrooms for the increasing number of children. Eventually the Felbridge Parish Council put pressure upon Tandridge District Council to exercise the option of retiring Mary Goble who was actually over the official retirement age, and in August 1971, much to the relief of several Parish Councillors and some parents, Mary Goble resigned, along with Mrs H Beadle and Mrs Smith.
In September 1971, Mrs Audrey Spittle joined Felbridge School as head teacher, and the same year, the Parents Association, now with the full support of the head teacher, changed its name to the Parents and Friends Association.
In 1972, the Parents and Friends Association was re-named yet again and became Felbridge County Primary School Parent/Teacher Association or PTA for short. Their aims were laid out as follows:
1) Foster interest and co-operation of parents in the school,
2) Use the interests, abilities and resources of parents and teachers for organising fund-raining activities to provide additional facilities, amenities and equipment.
3) Help, where necessary, with other school activities.
Also in 1972, two mobile classrooms were delivered that eased the pressure of space in the school building allowing two rooms in the main building to be converted to a dining room and PE room. Toilets were still outside but as a result of the School having to close for a week, when the majority of the pupils went down with a stomach bug, a review of the sanitary arrangements was made resulting in indoor toilets being provided in 1975, although the outside toilets continued to be used until the mid 1980s.
In 1975, there were one hundred and sixty-four children on the School Roll and the School consisted of five mobile classrooms with one in the main building. A year later, the School Roll now had one hundred and eighty-two children on it, of which one hundred and fifty six had school dinners as well as the staff, and the kitchen was re-opened. In 1977, Mrs Audrey Spittle left the School and Mrs Gywneth Thomas became acting head teacher until the appointment of Miss Elisabeth Tope in January 1978, who joined Felbridge School from St Catherines School, Bletchingley, where she had been Deputy Head.
Under Elisabeth Tope, a cloakroom was converted back to a teaching space in 1979, and in 1981, an Education Act was passed allowing parents the choice of which school to send their children to, providing the school had space. This Act ended the long held tradition of the village school providing an education for the local children of the area, creating even more pressure of space upon Felbridge School. As a consequence, in 1982, a bedroom in the old School House was adapted to give a seventh teaching space. A new gate and entrance was added, and the School was also re-wired, insulated and flameproofed at the same time. Parents redecorated the School and the climbing frame was re-sited to a safer location for the children to use.
1983 saw the Bi-centenary of the School which was celebrated by the children attending school dressed in period costume and several souvenirs being produced including The Village School, a book about the history of the School; The Felbridge Stockpot, a book of recipes donated by parents, governors and past school cooks; a small model of the School House was cast; a pottery vase was made with the School logo and dates; and each child was presented with a pottery bi-centenary mug with the same logo on it.
At this date there were over one hundred and sixty children on the School Roll, housed in seven classrooms. The staff included Mrs Ann Mugridge (Class 1), Mrs Geraldine Davies (Class 2), Mr David Hills, (Class 3), Miss Elisabeth Tope (Head Teacher) and Mrs Gillian Harradine (Class 4), Mrs Sandra Buley (Class 5) and Mrs Maureen Harris (Class 6). The curriculum was divided into 9 main areas: language development, mathematics, environmental studies, religious education, health education, physical education, music, French and art and craft. After school activities included clubs for swimming, athletics, table tennis, football, rounders and netball, also pottery classes, lessons in the violin and recorder, a school choir and a programme of visits to places of educational interest. Importance was still given to ensuring all pupils could swim, therefore there were three swimming lessons a week given during summer months. Also residential visits were organised for those children in their final year.
In 1985, the swimming pool was moved to The Glades area and in 1986 Elisabeth Tope left the School being succeeded by David Hills who took over as Head Teacher, having already been teaching at the School for several years. One year after his appointment, disaster struck the School, the Storm of October 1987 brought down several trees causing severe damage to the School. The School Governors Report to the Parish Council outlined that: four out of the six mobile classrooms were unsafe, two had rain coming in through the roof, one had to be removed due to a falling tree and another had a tree overhanging the building. The School was again badly damaged in the Hurricane of January 1990, when several roofs of the mobile classrooms were ripped off whilst children were being taught.
However unfortunate the storm and the hurricane damage was, it did have one huge benefit as later in 1990, plans were drawn up to re-build the School, a request being submitted by the Parish Council that the original masters house and school house should be retained. Shortly after their request, Felbridge School was given a Grade II listing with the following description:
Founded in 1783 by James Evelyn, extended in 1934. Flemish bond red brick with some burnt headers on ground floor and tile-hung timber framed first floor. Plain tile roof with gables and half-hipped ends. Brick axial stack.
3-room lobby entrance plan, the former kitchen at centre and small teachers parlour on right heated from back-to-back fireplaces in axial stack, which forms entrance lobby at front. The left hand room was the classroom (now kitchen). 3 rooms on first floor. The 20th century stair wing at the back probably replaces the original outshut and dates from circa 1934 when a large extension was built on the left (west). 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window southeast front. Ground floor cambered arch window openings. 2 x 3-light lead-pane casements on left and 12-pane sash on right. 3 small 2-light casements on first floor. Doorway to right of centre with 20th century panelled and glazed door and 20th century hipped roof open porch. Depressed 2-centred arch window on right hand (northeast) end with 2-light casements and Y-bars and leaded panes. Short hipped roof wing at rear. Large 1934 extension attached on left extending to rear.
Interior: Ground floor central room (original kitchen) has chamfered cross-beam without stops and large brick fireplace with big unchamfered timber lintel. Small right hand room (parlour) has 20th century brick fireplace. First floor has roughly chamfered cross-beams with run-out stops and exposed wall plate. 20th century staircase and 20th century roof structure.
In 1994, Patrick Evelyn opened the new extension to Felbridge School. To celebrate the opening of the new part of the School, the children completed a large collage under the direction of Ann Morely, which now hangs in the main hall. The School can now take up to two hundred and ten children, seven classes of thirty children. Five years after the new extension, Felbridge School came top of the primary school league for Surrey and third in the overall league, after the introduction of Government School League Tables.
Felbridge School in the 21st Century
David Hills saw the new millennium in at Felbridge School, retiring in July 2001 being succeeded by Mrs Donna Green who joined Felbridge School in September 2001 having been the Head Teacher at Court Lodge Infants School, Horley. Under her service Felbridge School have celebrated the Golden Jubilee completing a panel for the Felbridge Village Golden Jubilee tapestry that hangs in the Village Hall, under the direction of Lesley Jones and Kay Probert, and the Schools own Jubilee collage, under the direction of Di Ruffles that hangs opposite the school office.
In February 2003, Felbridge School was visited by the School Inspectors and received a glowing Ofsted report. As a result of the report, the School received a £4,650 Achievement Award, awarded by the Standards Minister for achieving schools. Also in April 2003, Dr Brian Coffin, the chairman of the Surrey County Council, opened the ICT suite, giving the children a much greater opportunity to use computers and modern technology. Later in 2003, after the swimming pool had been vandalised on several occasions, the decision was taken for it to be removed, the work carried out in 2004. Also in 2004, a canopy was added to the reception class play area allowing the children to play outside in all weathers, and an adventure trail was built next to the climbing frame. By May 2005, the swimming pool area had been re-invented as the Quiet Area, an area for giant games such as Draughts, Connect Four and Hoop-La.
Some past students success stories
The endowment of Felbridge School by James Evelyn in 1783 brought an education to a selective proportion of children in the Felbridge area. These children would have been highly privileged to have received an education but undoubtedly all these children would have worked on the land on leaving the school, possibly for the Evelyn family on their Felbridge estate. This would also have been the case under the Gatty family after their purchase of the Felbridge Place estate from the Evelyn family in 1855. Even by the turn of the 20th century most children who attended Felbridge School would have expected to work within the rural community that was Felbridge or would have gone into service, and lessons of the time reflected this, gardening, woodwork and blacksmithing for the boys and cooking and sewing for the girls. Although the Education Reports show that the children attending Felbridge School were taught well, the expectation for them to achieve and make something more of their lives did not exist within the social conditions and environment of the time.
However, after the major upheavals of the two World Wars and changes in the education system some Felbridge students did begin to achieve, their names being chronicled in the School Log, and added to the School Honours Board that had been erected to celebrate their successes. As society changed and Felbridge began to attract people who were no longer tied to the land or the Felbridge estate, student expectations began to rise, particularly under the head teacher of the time who was progressive in her attitude towards education. However, all good things come to an end and Miss Dowding had to retire. Unfortunately, her replacement was one of the old school and it was felt by many parents that students at Felbridge School were viewed as little better than country bumpkins even as late as 1970, fortunately this all changed with the introduction of a new head teacher in 1971. It is important therefore, to appreciate some of the success stories of the past Felbridge students, particularly of those educated at Felbridge School in the first half of the 20th century when opportunities were limited for those leaving the education system.
The following are a few of the success stories of children that were educated at Felbridge School.
Stephen John Baldwin
Stephen, known as Jim, was born in 1960 and started school at Felbridge School in April 1965. Unfortunately, this was in the time when the majority of the educational emphasis at the School was placed upon the annual Rose Queen ceremony and swimming. When it was considered by the head teacher that Jim should be put in the remedial class, his parents removed him from the school and sent him to Halsford Park School in East Grinstead. After leaving primary education Jim went to Imberhorne School where he excelled in metalwork and technical drawing. After leaving school he got an apprenticeship with Knight & Butler, steel fabricators from Lingfield. In the late 1980s Jim left the company and became self-employed as a structural steel draughtsman and surveyor. In 1992, after an introduction by his uncle, Jim joined the Formula One Company and designed the steelwork for the Formula One Museum. He was then asked to design the platform for the television companies to film the races. Weighing in at 70 tons, it was shipped/flown around the world and could be set up and made level on any ground. It was Jims responsibility to oversee the transportation and erection of the platform at each circuit, and co-ordinate the erection team and wages. All Formula One racing that was watched on TV between 1996 and 2002 would have been filmed from one of his platforms, but in 2002 static performance platforms were built at all circuits eliminating the need for a transportable platform.
After 2002, Jim has gone on to survey, design and oversee his work on numerous projects including, The National Gallery, West Pier at Brighton, the Natural history Museum and the Docklands project. Not bad for someone who was once in a remedial class at Felbridge School!
Kenneth Ernest Deacon Housman was born on 11th August 1925 in Finchley, London. In February 1937, Kenneth, known as Ken, moved with his family from Finchley to Furnace Wood and finished his last year of junior education at Felbridge School. Ken always spoke fondly of his short time at Felbridge School and remembered clearly the very different approach to discipline between his previous London school where the cane was the order of the day and that of Felbridge School where respect was instilled resulting in better behaviour and therefore virtually eliminating the use of the cane. He recalled the head teacher, Miss Dowding, as an excellent and progressive teacher, being particularly interested in her current affairs lessons. On leaving Felbridge School Ken completed his secondary education at East Grinstead Seniors at Chequer Mead School, leaving at the age of 14 years. With the onset of World War II, his family temporarily moved back to London and Ken went to work for Handley Page, manufacturers of heavy bomber aeroplanes. In 1944, Ken joined the Royal Air Force and attended Hendon Technical College where he completed his PACT (Pre-Aircrew Training Course). On completing his training he saw very little active service before the end of the War in 1945. In 1947, on leaving the RAF, he returned to Furnace Wood to try and make a living off the land selling eggs to Stonegate Egg Suppliers and fresh fruit and vegetables that were sold through the local Felbridge Village Produce Association that held a weekly market at the St Johns (Felbridge) Institute. In 1948, Ken went to work for Bert Biggs, a local builder who had built numerous properties in Felbridge. Bert Biggs was considered to be a good builder but sadly lacked business sense, resulting in his bankruptcy in 1951. Ken, by then a skilled draughtsman and builder, took over the business and put it back on a business-like footing and continued building in the Felbridge area for the next fifty years.
It was through his building work that Ken met Parish Councillor Mrs Nancy McIver, who persuaded him to take up a position on the Parish Council in 1968; he then went on to serve 34 years before retiring. During his time on the Parish Council, Ken was Chairman on six occasions, and was the Councils representative on the Board of Governors for Felbridge School, and a trustee for the Beef and Faggot Charity, the Betchley Rural Charity and the Public Stone and Gravel Pit Charity.
A testament to Kens design skills can be seen in the Village Sign that stands on the Felbridge Village Green, which he designed in 1984. This design has also been used for the Badge of Office worn by the Chairman of Felbridge Parish Council and a mug that the Parish Council commissioned to celebrate the New Millennium. Other service to the Felbridge community included being at one time, president of Felbridge St Johns Ambulance Brigade and serving on the Village Hall Committee. Ken retired from the Parish Council through ill- health in 2002, and sadly died on 4th April 2003, in the 50th anniversary year of the Civil Parish of Felbridge.
Brian Douglas Roberts
Brian was born in 1930 the son of Douglas and Edna Roberts who moved from Tunbridge Wells to Littlecote, Crawley Down Road in 1936. Brian attended Felbridge School between August 1936 and July 1941 when he went to East Grinstead Grammar School. After leaving the Grammar School he took up an apprenticeship at Woods Bakery in East Grinstead. Brian trained on day release at Brighton Technical College and won a scholarship to the National Bakery School at the Borough Technical College on the South Bank in London. Here he gained the National Diploma for Bread and Flour Confectionary in 1952, (1st Class).
After qualifying, Brian served his National Service in the Royal Army Service Corps, attached to the 23rd Parachute Regiment in Egypt. On his return he took up his trade again and joined L Fellows Ltd in Ardingly, Sussex, becoming a partner in the firm until his retirement in 1988. Brian served on many committees connected with his trade and was conferred the Licentiateship of the City and Guilds in recognition of Achievement in Education, Training and Employment in 1984. He was the President of the Sussex Master Bakers in 1985/86, and President of the London and South Eastern Region Master Bakers in 1987/88. In June 1997, Brian became a Liveryman in the Worshipful Company of Bakers and was given the Freedom of the City of London.
On his retirement in 1988, Brian joined the team in the watermill at Michelham Priory in Sussex and qualified as a miller, producing stone ground flour from local wheat. Brian also had a keen interest in music having learnt to play the piano and violin at a young age. In 1949 he had joined the County of Sussex Youth Orchestra and in later life, the Mid Sussex Sinfonia, switching from violin to double bass in the late 1970s. Apart from baking and music he had several other interests being a founder member of both the Lake View Drama & Social Club and the Felbridge & District History Group. In his spare time Brian enjoyed researching a wide range of topics from local history to baking subjects. He wrote two articles that were published in the Worshipful Company of Bakers Newsletter, Buckwheat? A question answered and Milling and Baking at Sea, he also wrote an article on English Toast for a colleague with a Swiss Baking School and an article on the Static Army Bakery at Hobbs Barracks which he delivered to the Felbridge and District History Group shortly before his death in February 2003.
William John Pentecost
William, known as Bill, was born in 1924, the son of Jack and Annie Pentecost of Kosikot, Crawley Down Road. Bill attended Felbridge School between September 1929 and November 1937, before moving to Danehill for a year, being re-admitted to Felbridge School in June 1937 for just one week after moving back to the Felbridge area. As previously stated, Bill won the competition for the design of the Felbridge School badge before his move to Danehill. The use of the squirrel that was central to his design is still used to this day although the badge has now been updated and the sweet chestnut leaves and burrs have been replaced by oak leaves and acorns. After leaving school Bill went on to become a pilot. Ken Housman, who was a contemporary of Bills, later recalled that in those days it was unheard of for a Felbridge School boy to aspire to, let alone achieve, such a career! Bill eventually married, settling in New Zealand.
Barbara Thomas, now Christie
Barbara was born in 1915, one of four daughters to Jack and Winifred Thomas who lived at Aston Hope in Copthorne Road. Barbara went to Felbridge School in the June and July of 1922 before the family moved to East Grinstead. She was re-admitted to Felbridge School in January 1927 when the Thomas family moved back to the Felbridge area to Brook Nook in Furnace Wood, where she finished her education. During the short time that she attended the school she managed to win a silver medal for her story writing and a presentation book for most popular girl. A keen horsewoman, she eventually married a Canadian and emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada, where she acquired a life-long interest in Sable Island, a small island off the coast of Nova Scotia that is renowned for its wild horses and shipwrecks. After several years of research Barbara compiled her findings in a book called The horses of Sable Island first published in 1980 and re-printed in 1995. The book outlines how the horses came to be on the island, their fight for survival and eventual colonisation of the island.
Brian was born in Crawley Down in 1939 and attended Felbridge School between January 1945 and July 1950 before going to East Grinstead Grammar School. On leaving the Grammar School he went to University College London where he attained B. Sc. (1st Class Hons. in Astronomy) in 1961, Ph. D. (Astronomical Spectroscopy) in 1964, and became a D. Sc. in 1972, and Oxford University where he attained an M. A. in 1967 and became a D. Sc. in 1986. After working in various observatories and universities all over the world he is now a Distinguished Professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Cape Town in South Africa, becoming Head of the Department of Astronomy in 1972.
Brian has so far been the author or co-author of over 350 research papers and has written over ten books. In addition to his research in astrophysics he also works on the history of astronomy and several of his books and papers are on this topic, although not all his written work is on astronomy as he has also published a book of Cape Landscapes sketched by Sir John Herschel between 1834 and 1838.
Victoria History of Surrey, SHC
Evelyn Family Tree, FHA
Bourd map, 1748, FHA
Roque map, 1768, FHA
Fire Insurance Policy, GL
History & Antiquities of the County of Surrey, SHC
Deed for the founding of Felbridge School, FHA
Rules for Felbridge School, FHA
Survey of Felbridge School by K Housman, FHA
Report on Felbridge School, 1905, Ref: CC/47/69, SHC
Felbridge Monument, Fact Sheet SJC 08/99, FHA
Felbridge Chapel, Fact Sheet, SJC 05/00, FHA
Codicil of the will of Edward Evelyn, Box 3151, SHC
Beef & Faggot Charity, Fact Sheet SJC 03/03, FHA
Tithes for the Evelyn estate 1800, FHA
The Village School by G Wilkinson
Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
Biographies form the churchyard of St John the Divine, Fact Sheet, SJC 07/02vi, FHA
Minute Book of Felbridge Voluntary School, C/EM/93/1, SHC
Felbridge School Log, FHA
School Managers Book, SHC
Mrs Wheelers Scrapbook, FHA
The Felbridge Herb Gatherers, Fact Sheet, SJC 01/04, FHA
Rose Queen 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, Local Newspaper articles, FHA
Merrie England Fair held at Felbridge School, 1967, Local Newspaper article, FHA
Felbridge Parish Council minutes, FPC
PTA, memories of Russell Brown, FHA
Grade II Listing, 1991, FHA
Felbridge Golden Jubilee Project, Local Newspaper article, FHA
Ofsted Report, 2003, FHA
Documented memories of Jim Baldwin, FHA
Documented memories of Susan Brown, FHA
Documented memories of Barbara Christie, FHA
Documented memories of Pam Coleman, FHA
Documented memories of Ken Housman, FHA
Documented memories of Marion Jones, FHA
Documented memories of Jean Roberts, FHA
Documented memories of Betty Salmon, FHA
Documented memories of Doris Trefine, FHA
Documented memories of David Weltman, FHA